The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other Fish than Trout Photos

That is a beautiful fish AJ! And it looks like the Atlantics that are in the Salmon in the summer. If it's one of the tribs from the lake maybe he got lost! It happens! I worked with a guy whose son fished the brackish part of the Connetquot River on a regular basis back in the 80s. The father asked me to look at a fish he had caught to ID it. At a quick glance I thought it was one of the sea run browns that frequent the Conny in the winter months. But after looking harder I realized it was an Atlantic Salmon! The boy told me it was the second one he had caught that week so I told him and his Dad to go by the DEC just to make sure . They were amazed and agreed it was an Atlantic.
What happened next is even crazier! The newspaper got a hold of the story and wrote it up in the outdoor section. What an uproar! People were accusing this 15 year old of being a liar and just trying to get publicity! They said his Dad brought the fish home from the supermarket he worked in and tried to make his son famous ! This went on for weeks! Reporters called me at work as well as his Dad and wanted to know how I knew he caught it in the Conny and did I see the Dad buy one in the fish dept!
This craziness went on for weeks. I started to feel bad for telling this kid to take the fish to the DEC! I knew the kid wasn't lying and decided to call the DEC myself! Finally got to speak to someone and he said he couldn't give me any info at the moment but to keep looking in the outdoor section of the paper for the next couple of days.
And sure enough about a week later full page article about the boys fish and redemption! A biologist on a hunch ran a bunch of tests on the boys fish for salinity content and several other factors . After some extensive research they realized that these salmon were from parr that had been stocked in the Connecticut River in Conn and lost there way . Instead of going to LI sound and then back to Connecticutt they swam around LI to the Atlantic Ocean and up the Conny instead. They even figured out how the rivers lined up the same way even though different land masses to explain the strange occurrence!
This proved that the boy was telling the truth and the reason the Atlantics were in a river that they were never stocked or been in before.
The only thing that angered me was the paper never apologized or printed a retraction to the boy even though he had been telling the truth!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Here's hoping that this doesn't receive such yellow journalism, but if it does, I'm going to produce a phoney receipt from a supermarket and then create a youtube video documenting how I staged it, complete with bribing the guys around me into recounting the entire "catch" Because I obviously have the time and dedication to go to such lengths!

Multiple Atlantics in a week? That is awesome! I was happy to see the hen swim off after some time in the "recovery room" (a gathering of rocks that protected the fish from the heavier flow but still received oxygenated water). I hope she makes it back out into the lake without someone "mistaking" her for a brown and keeping her.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! While it is my first Atlantic, hopefully it won't be my last!
theboz likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

AJ,

Remember, I'm no fisheries biologist but what makes you sure that is a hen? Did the fish drop eggs when caught? I ask because looking at the elongated upper mandibular I would guess it a male.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The fish did indeed drop eggs. I only briefly lifted her for the photo op, but noticed when doing so that she was spitting eggs so I made sure to be especially gentle and quick to return her to the water. If I had a buddy there with me (or a net) I would not have even removed her from the water, but I had to make do with a streamside rock as a tripod and I had to lift her from the water to grab the shot. Maybe if we're all lucky her offspring will be caught in similar tribs in the future!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

Nice Atlantic AJ.
It sure looks like an Atlantic. Did the tail have any "fork" to it? Browns have no fork to the tail at all. The part of the tail where your hand is wraped is pretty skinny, another sign of Atlantic salmon, with Browns it's fairly thick. If so it sure is an Atlantic. I hear of a few of them get caught on your end of the lake now and then. Great job.

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Very little discernible forking but some, no distinct spots on the tail, plus very limited spotting on the gill plates and such. Very little discernible work done on my coursework this evening as well...

Thanks Mike!

Last edited by gatortransplant; 11-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I thought I could see some drops in the photo but otherwise would have guessed male. This makes a good case for in the water shots does it not? Especially with hens, they almost always are stressed enough to drop eggs when caught, the lift will accentuate this. Many ripe males will blow milt if you lift them also. I've gotten to where with salmon that I intend to release I leave them in the water and take a picture.

The fish in the picture below can be identified and didn't have any problems.

Click the image to open in full size.

That's a small king, see what I meant by them looking similar? Don't get feeling like I'm busting you here, as time goes on you'll settle for an in the water shot and if people don't believe you when you tell them what you caught you just won't bother telling them in the future.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 AM

I know exactly what you mean Ard. For this particular fish, I knew it was something special and the very poor water clarity was not conducive to an in-the-water shot (visibility was limited to basically whatever was NOT in the water, haha. Post-Sandy conditions have not been entirely conducive to gin-clear water as of yet). This is certainly a good argument for fishing with a buddy. While I have my share of standing grip-and-grins, my good fishing buddies and I have been talking about taking more of the more conservation minded in-water shots of fish. This particular fish I felt the need to document as fully as I could while still keeping it in the water as much as I could.

And man, I wish our kings looked like that here... even early fish have a greenish tinge, and by this time of year, most of them could win a Cryptkeeper-impersonating contest.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 AM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

Here is a pic of an Atlantic vs sea run trout or Brown trout. There is only a slight fork to Atlantics vs Browns straight tail.

Mike

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM

I'll just have to catch a few more in various locations around the world, that way I can make sure I have indeed caught an Atlantic
stl_geoff likes this.