The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM

troutbum bk is on a distinguished road
Default last time fishing the denver area

well last weekend I wasnt in a great mood so I decided, what better way to brighten the day up by going fishing. So I get up there around 7 planning to fish until the sun starts to go down, but after about four hours and the bite seemed to stop I felt satisfied with my day so I headed home and slept

However, this was my best day fishing and the first time I caught so many fish I lost track(probably around 7-10), and so many that looked the same I just decided to put the camera away.

speaking of cameras, how do you guys keep them on you so they are easy to acess, any you dont have to worry about it getting wet, and its not a hassle to get out?

Anyways, lots of little browns, my first cuttbow followed by another cuttbow, and a couple rainbows, and a couple trees and lost flies.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/bkaufmann92/?action=view&current=006.jpg
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/bkaufmann92/?action=view&current=004.jpg
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/bkaufmann92/?action=view&current=003.jpg
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/bkaufmann92/?action=view&current=002.jpg
and heres a picture of my friend at the same spot the weekend before this with the biggest fish I have seen caught out of this creek
Click the image to open in full size.

definately no big fish, but next week ill be onto better rivers with bigger fish

Ben

(sorry if the pictures dont work, this is my first time using photobucket)
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last time fishing the denver area

Ben: Sounds like a great day on the water. In the past I used a Canon but dropped it in the Green River last spring, since then I have a Pentax Optio W90 that is water proof. I usually will fish with a shirt that has front pockets and keep the camera there while fishing.

Larry

Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I carry an Olympus water/shock proof.
Found a hard case that it fits in (@ REI), then bought a Gear keeper retractor and attached it to the hard case, and the camera..
Now I can drop the camera, to release fish.
A friend lost his water/shock camera, they don't float.......he just didn't zip his pocket closed.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 08-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:51 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

i just stick mine in the front zipper of my vest with the wrist string hanging out so i just grab and shoot. the only time i fell in i IMMEDIATELY took the camera apart along with my phone. phone worked fine but camera didnt. so what did i do?! lucky me my dad works for nasa and has access to a vacuum chamber and vwala! it worked again. (the chamber sucks everything out of it, air, water, everything! and for some reason putting electronics that have gotten wet in one makes them work again.)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I use a regular Nikon camera and put it in a heavy duty baggie in the up and down zip pocket on my vest. Yes, a bit of a hassle but next camera will be a waterproof one.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

The wife and I bought one of the Olympus waterproof-shockproof cameras. It has been waterproof as advertised. The instruction booklet that came with it says if it gets dirty, to clean it under tap water, so the company must have confidence in their waterproofing.

I bought a $4 floating strap for it, the strap is rather large and bulky, as big as the camera it's self, but it's cheap insurance for a $300 some odd dollar camera.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

With my digital camera I do the plastic baggy thing, which isn't very convenient, but keeps it dry. I do have one of those flip video cameras and I have a waterproof case for that so I can keep it strapped around my neck. I haven't submerged it (though I want to, to get the underwater release shot) but the case has kept is dry in the rain and wet hands.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Off subject... but. I recomend installing the clear film over the screen.
Once it's scatched it's only going to get harder to see...
Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

A lot of good ideas but one caution about putting a camera in a shirt pocket. Make sure it is a pocket with a flap that seals some way. Just an open shirt pocket and when you bend over out goes the camera or what ever that is in that pocket. Especially bending over the side of a boat releasing a fish.

Frank
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Fuji Finepix. It takes ok pictures, is waterproof, and shock proof. I have had it underwater multiple times and taken some underwater pictures with it. Unfortunately none of them were very good --- my fault not the camera's. The back screen is hard for me to see what I am taking a picture of. I have it on a lanyard around my neck and then into a pocket. It still comes out at times and hits things. I like the retractable cord idea better.