The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skinny Water

I know there have been several threads lately regarding fishing smaller waters such as remote creeks and high elevation streams. I've enjoyed the pics and stories, so I just wanted to get another one going about some of my favorites in and around the southeast Idaho area. Since I am still on crutches and unable for the most part to access my favorite haunts, at least I am able to write about them and share some photos.

Birch Creek, ID. This water is a true spring creek and holds resident populations of both rainbow and brook trout. They don't grow too big, but they are a blast to catch. In its lower regions the F&G plant rainbows and manage it as a put-and-take fishery, but the upper reaches are full of wild bows and brookies. Here are the pics:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hope you liked it.

Kelly.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skinny Water

Kelly thanks for sharing. That is some great photography of Gods country.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i love small streams as well. heres a spot in wisconsin

ARFE
Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics, Kelly. Thanks!

Here's a re-post of a re-post; this was really skinny skinny water; on the Marguerite with J-P this Spring.................... Yup, that's a 9'0" 5 wt. rod he's using.....................

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 08-18-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:13 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post

Here's a re-post of a re-post; this was really skinny skinny water; on the Margueritte with J-P this Spring.................... Yup, that's a 9'0" 5 wt. rod he's using.....................

Pocono
Looks like real challenge to fish
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great job all. Thanks for sharing those special places.

Let's show off another of my favorites in central Idaho that we fish from September through April and it boasts a healthy, and ofttimes, large population of native rainbows along with some resident brookies. An occasional kokanee will escape the reservoir and be found downstream in the fall during their spawning time. There is also a resident native population of mountain whitefish which are protected and must be released back into the water immediately. This is a tailwater and is used during the summer months for irrigation and flows at levels too dangerous for the wade angler.

This is Idaho's Big Lost River that runs into and out of Mackay Reservoir and through the town of Mackay and then disappears somewhere in the Arco desert area most years - just flat runs dry, thus the name of Big Lost River.

That's just a small taste of the Big Lost River. A beautiful place to lose oneself.

Kelly.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

another pic of the Marguerite...cleaner and clearer than when we fished it with Allan
the Schwarzbach...Nico fishing with his 9'6....crossbow casting is sometimes necessary
the Neederbach a pure beauty...Nico's just hooked a fish...no need to ask him to take another rod