The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: How to keep your dry fly actually dry!

Um, don't let the fly get wet . . . if possible keep them in a water-tight box.

Sorry, was feeling sarcastic the other day. I use Aquel alot because it's easy, and it isn't temperature sensitive. Some gel floatants get like molasses when it's cold out, then as thin as water when it's hot; Aquel doesn't do that. The only real drawback to gel floatants is that they wash off pretty quick, so you have to re-apply every ten casts or so if you don't get a fish, more often if you're getting bit.

But I also always have a tube of Burt's Bees chapstick on my pocket. If I run out of Aquel, I just rub some chapstick on my fingers, then on the fly.

Some flies get really water-logged after a fish or two take them. I either blow-dry them and/or drop them in a dessicant shaker, then re-apply floatant . . . you get the picture.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 08-19-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: decided to give a straight answer . . .
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Tiemco Dry Magic. That stuff is killer. High floating flies and no sticky paste on your hands. Works well on CDC as well as hairwings and hackle. Never head to the stream without it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i really like loon aquel floatant.

ARFE
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

By "all that stuff" do you mean a 1 oz. bottle of floatant? It really is worth carrying. There is much more stuff that I carry that I would leave behind before the floatant.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:42 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Some proper advices you got here for beginner guys,but no matter what one can do that dry fly will eventually get wet,and some dries sink like stone then
I use gink ,and if I know what flies I will be using tomorrow for example I put some gink on that flies day before fishing and again some when I got on river...It helps a bit
With dries that have CDC wings I use drier made from amadou fungus..just one litle squeeze and that fly is dry as new ....
When dry fly get slimy from fish then I wash it first,then amadou ....
Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

First move with a fresh dry is to grease (Gink) it. After that I do like Pocono and try to keep it dry with false casts. If it drowns I blow on it and brush in a lot of "Frogs Fanny".
After I'm through with a dry I'll hang it on my vest or shirt flap til dry then back in the box.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Here is the SECRET OF THE CENTURY!

Go to Costco and buy an assortment of Shamwow.

Cut off a 4"X4" of it and stick it in your vest.

It beats a $30 piece of amadou hands down.

Chris
Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
Here is the SECRET OF THE CENTURY!

Go to Costco and buy an assortment of Shamwow.

Cut off a 4"X4" of it and stick it in your vest.

It beats a $30 piece of amadou hands down.

Chris
That is a fantastic alternate to amadou but, in all truth, 'ain't nothing like the real thing'... especially if you fall into a great deal on it.
Shamwow works great and is what I use in my pond kit for when I'm not wearing my vest.
Another good use for Shamwow is to make a fly that fish can't resist. I good friend of mine always carries a batch of his Shamwow flies and falls back on them when all else fails. He just straps it to hook with the Shamwow overhanging off of the front and rear of the hook.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but try not to put floatant on a wet fly. It will trap the moisure in and almost guarentee a poor float.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I went fishing last week and noticed my dry fly sinking after a couple of casts.
Blueduds,

It also could well be the quality of your flies or the particular pattern you are using. If you stick the palmered hackle to your lips (the hackle sticking out perpendicular to the hooK), it is easy to judge how stiff they are. The stiffer they are the better the fly, if it's a dry fly. As for flotant, it's necessary regardless. When I lived up north and fished a lot for trout , I used rendered deer tallow for flotant from the thick section around their hips. I think it lasted better than the commercial stuff.

Dean,

Ard is the only person I've ever heard mention that lift-off technique which I have used as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure I started doing it as a kid fishing poppers for bass to be able to recast without having to stip a lot of line in.

Basically, what I do is extend my arm as far toward the fly as comfortably possible, tip down, and as I draw my arm back, rapidly wiggle the rod. It does not reguire much hand movement.

It breaks the line free of the water surface tension and enables a quick pick up, without the popper/fly submarining. It also results in a lot of strikes both from bass and trout, usually before the fly has traveled more than a foot or so. The fly will also be wiggling as it moves.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Buy some liquid silicone from a shoe store, place a small magnet in the bottom of container and place hooks on magnet, Soak your flies over night then let completely dry for a day. I do this as I tie them, works like a charm.