The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to keep your dry fly actually dry!

As others have mentioned, I sometimes use some paste on the fly before use and I definitely use desiccant powder once the fly has become waterlogged or fish slimed.

Also, I find a few false casts can get a lot of water off a fly and breaking the surface tension before starting the back cast helps keep the fly from being pulled under and avoids the potential of spooking a fish with the loud slurp. If the fly seems really wet, it helps to pull in most of the line and do a few of faster false casts to really shake the water off.

I have found that poor quality flies sink more quickly and believe it is worthwhile to pay for good dries (though I tie most of them myself). Having good hackle and a light hook does wonders.

As an aside, don't forget about the joys of a good foam terrestrial - it'll float forever.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I find that the best way to keep a dry fly dry is go be discriminating in buying and tying them. Dries with fat, thread-heavy bodies that you see in many shops won't stay dry for long. But a dry fly tied with waxed thread and a sparse body will stay on top of the water until its hackles get mangled by a trout, even without floatant.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM

njdevs is on a distinguished road

I've watched some fisherman do the line wiggle and its my opinion that in the smoother water you want to be as gentle as possible with the lift-off. In the rougher water you're going to need a lot more than a "wiggle" to keep that fly dry. My opinion....break out the "stuff".