The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ants

Dry for me.

Last weekend I fished them on Glacier Creek in rmnp. Worked well to bounce it off of a boulder. As soon as it hit the water a brookie was on it.

I had less luck floating them through the middle of the creek, but still got an occassional take. I didn't impart movement like I perhaps should have.

For me the challenge with ants is the black color. I always use one with a white wing to see it better.

-Paul
Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fan of Harrison Steeves' TransparAnt. They are beautiful sunken ant patterns.

Tying & Fishing the TransparANT by Harrison Steeves

Now there is an easier way to tie these patterns,

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....ts-t37764.html

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I used to have spectacular fishing with ants when the carpenter ants would swarm and grow wings. Both in Maine and Arizona. I always fished them dry. In Maine I tied my own which looked nothing like ants unless you looked up at them against the sky, then the sparce hackle disappeared and they looked like ants.

The store bought ones sank so I didn't use them.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have floated ants successfully for many years, but have found a higher ratio of takes fishing them subsurface.
Same with hoppers.
In fact on the truckee, I don't dare to fish one sunken, unless it's on 4x at least..better to use 3x and a loop knot.
Otherwise bang-zoom, pinc! (Sound of leader breaking.)

Jim
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 PM

mvalbano is on a distinguished road

i like parachute ants so I can see them and I fish them like dry flies.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

As Paul says, bouncing an ant against a rock is a very effective way to fish that pattern here in CO. I even think that trouts might "hear" the bounce.

Also, the higher (elevation) the more successful that pattern seems to be here in CO.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I use ants all my life and mostly dries ...but I dont take offense if they sink a bit
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I fish them dry, but the dubbing and hackle patterns ride pretty low in the surface film. I also tie some from foam which sit a touch higher. Sometimes I have a white antron wing or white CDC to make it more visible. Otherwise, I just look for a swirl in the general area I think my fly is.

Labor Day weekend I caught a nice 16 inch rainbow on a size 18 ant :-) Saw a small swirl, set the hook and found a nice surprise on the end of my line.