The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:58 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Ants

How does everyone fish ants? I got my first fish on an ant today (a nice 12" brown) but didn't realize I had it on until I was reeling my line in! It was floating a couple of inches below the surface and I never felt a tug. I finished reading an article in Flyfishing magazine that you could use the ant as a dropper beneath a hopper or use a yarn indicator. I probably should have read the entire article before today but it worked out this time. So what is the best way to fish the ant so you know where it is and know when a fish hits it?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ants

I make my floating ants of foam and rather than fish them "dead drift", I fish mine on a tight line
If you watch a natural ant on the water, it's always struggling, They don't sit there politely like a a mayfly. There's a series of concentric circles continuously emanating around them.
What I do is cast out, then take in the slack and "high stick" the rod. Then I'll either very slightly wiggle the rod tip, or if I have a really good drift with a tight line, I'll just bang my line hand on the butt of the rod at the reel seat to give the fly this natural action.
Try it some time.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that there were no more responses to this
Here in the east, ants are just about a trout's favorite food. They'll past up a lone mayfly or a caddis every time to take an ant.
That's because they taste better. Good even without the chocolate.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's because they taste better. Good even without the chocolate.
I can believe that.

I often drown ants and other terrestrials except when I'm doing a hopper dropper setup.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Justin says my rod and reel should be arriving some time next week. I'll be trying this out and I'll get back to you, Rip

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know how to fish them, but I have bought a couple since I caught a rainbow that still had an ant in its mouth. I am interested on how people fish them as well.

I bought these:
Ant Black

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM

simmonds is on a distinguished road

It seems I used to fish ants mainly dry or wet...no reason weighted with an indicator wouldnt work as well. Ants have got to be a major part of a trouts diet here in the NW. We have the large carpenter ants everywhere in the woods where timber lays rotting on the earths floor and suspended over rivers and creeks. If the ant just fell in and is floating and struggling, banged up and drowned and lifeless in the surface film, or churned under and dead drifting on the bottom you can bet a hungry trout will be eager to take it.

Think I will tie up some ants and head to the creek.

Chris.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Never had much luck with ants until this year. I've managed quite a few trout on them this year by dead drifting them or dropping them up against grassy banks. I give every fly a twitch or two before I switch runs or pools and have had the provoke some success as well.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've always fished "ants" dry.
Seems like the real ones can float a week. If you ever see a bunch together they seem to make little living ant rafts that float for awhile.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I've always fished "ants" dry.
Me too... usually a parachute pattern. I did buy some size 18's to fish wet but haven't tried them yet.

Cheers,
Mike.