The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
I did enjoy the book. It had a lot of general info of brown trout fishing. It covered river/stream fishing, lake fishing, then dry fly, nymph and streamer fishing for browns. It was meant I think as an overview. My biggest problem is: looking at a river, how do you know where to look for browns vs. rainbows. This book told me very little as to how to approach that question. About the only advice it offered in that regard is: brown trout aren't able to stay in fast currents like rainbows. They will often be in the slack water above or below pools, on the edge of riffles, in front of boulders, etc. Sometimes rainbows will be in these places too, but not in a high percentage as the browns are. That helped me a lot. I could at least eliminate some water. However that tidbit only scratches the surface of what I would like to know. Any more books you guys have read that you would recommend?
To tell you the truth I wouldn't even take that tip as a 100% truth. I have found quite a few browns in faster moving water, including a 23in hogger in some REAL heavy water last week.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Well ****! I didn't learn anything then! Well I did learn to keep my rod tip low (parallel to water) when nymphing. I didn't have to buy the book to know that I guess, but that's where I learned it.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-23-2011, 03:47 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Well ****! I didn't learn anything then! Well I did learn to keep my rod tip low (parallel to water) when nymphing. I didn't have to buy the book to know that I guess, but that's where I learned it.
I definitely dont want to say that it isnt USUALLY true, but there are definitely some exceptions... a big one in my case