The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Progress

I have been trying to learn more and more about catching brown trout. SO for the last two weeks, I haven't fished, just read.
Click the image to open in full size.
Today, I went to see if I learned anything..
The dinks were fun, but I was on a mission. I kept looking for the perfect spot, and decided a fly change was in order as well.

I had a fun day, not the biggest trout by any means, but for the water I was fishing, it doesn't get much better. Saw some tasty creatures on my way out. I can't wait for deer season!!!!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Progress

great report!
beautiful fish! the littler ones as well
is that river around here? (you do know that you dont have to give away your spot?)
i would love to join you for some of that action

casey

ARFE
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Nice watch.

Nice fish, too.

Dennis
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats,looks like your reading has paidnice pics and fish
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Congrats! Progress indeed! Nice looking fish!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys! The river is in southern TN. About a 45-50 min drive from me in AL. I don't get to fish it much. It is a put and take for rainbows, so I can catch all of those I want. However, the browns are fewer and far between and very wary. Each one is a prize.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

That is so cool. Doing your homework has paid off!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's how it's done, congratulations on being patient and becoming a student. So many times we do what was once known as "Putting the cart in front of the horse". Rods, reels, lines, waders, etc. the best that money can buy are not a real substitute for what you have done. You slowed down and you did some home work, you will never stop learning at this point.

Job well done,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the browns

Tell us about the book, is it a good read?

Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM

I did enjoy the book. It had a lot of general info of brown trout fishing. It covered river/stream fishing, lake fishing, then dry fly, nymph and streamer fishing for browns. It was meant I think as an overview. My biggest problem is: looking at a river, how do you know where to look for browns vs. rainbows. This book told me very little as to how to approach that question. About the only advice it offered in that regard is: brown trout aren't able to stay in fast currents like rainbows. They will often be in the slack water above or below pools, on the edge of riffles, in front of boulders, etc. Sometimes rainbows will be in these places too, but not in a high percentage as the browns are. That helped me a lot. I could at least eliminate some water. However that tidbit only scratches the surface of what I would like to know. Any more books you guys have read that you would recommend?