The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:25 AM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold
Default Idaho Creeks Part 1

A Tale of Two Creeks Part 1 Aug 10
Well, actually I visited more than two, but I only really liked (aka did well at) two out of four creeks. The other two were ok but were smaller, mud challenged, and the fish were few and small. Plus I had already gotten spoiled at the first stream. All of the creeks were ones I have visited before, but it is such great fun to renew acquaintanceship with old friends. Besides this spring drug out the runoff for so long I didnít think I would ever get up into the higher creeks. Anticipation is an appetite builder, and I always [want what isnít available right now!
I had such a great time fishing these that my biggest challenge has been choosing what pictures to use, so forgive me for bombarding you all with a mess of fish! I think I am developing a real love affair with wild cutthroat trout! Yes, I am addicted and cannot stop on my own. Where are the 12 steps when you need them??? Anyone else in the group need councling???
The first creek was one I visited on Aug 10th and it was a fun stream, but there were more people around than I expected. The fish were willing and plentiful, and I spent the day exploring a ways both up and downstream. It looks like the system is healthy as I caught a variety of sizes of wild cutts. Plenty of dinks and a few hogs that I missed or spooked.

Click the image to open in full size.

The fish were both Yellowstone fine spotted and large spotted cutthroats. They were willing and eager to grab dries off the surface. I think I caught most on a small green elk hair caddis. I had several to start with, but by the end of the day I only had hooks with a few wisps of green and broken pieces of elk hair attached. A good epitaph for the demise of a fly is some pictures of the killers.

This one shows how very well these fish blend in to the stream.

The colors on these were so amazing. I am saddened that much of it doesnít really show in the snapshots.

This was a great creek and I still want to explore more of it. I left because there were more people there than I expected, and more campfires than I could deal with. So I went to a different little stream in the same drainage. It had a lot of moss lower down and more mud sides and bottom in the meadow section higher up. I am probably doing this stream an injustice because I didnít really explore further up than I did. I was definitely spoiled by the first creek. So I camped for the night and fished a little that evening and the next morning, but I only took a picture or two. It was good that I decided to check a different stream out as I really had a ball at the next stop.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Idaho Creeks Part 1

great pics
beautiful fish and water!

casey

ARFE
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

When I tried to put the other sections together here under the first part it wouldn't let me. So if a monitor could group them together I think it would be better, but either way is ok by me.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Nice area and nice trout.