The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM

dcw9742 is on a distinguished road
Smile Gearing up for steelhead. Need some advice!!

Hey all. I started fly-fishing this past spring and as you all know what happens... I got hooked! Now that fall is steadily approaching the first thing on my agenda is getting geared up to fish steelhead and possibly some salmon.

For trout I have been running an Orvis Access setup. Access reel 5-7, and Access 8'6" 5 wt. Since the mid arbor reel can technically hold a 7wt line I considered buying an extra spool + line rather than a whole new reel so that is a consideration.

Basically I'm looking for some advice/feedback from you seasoned guys on what kind of setup I should be looking to get. I'm willing to spend up to $400 and although I'm very fond of my Orvis I would be willing to try another brand.

So I guess the kind of feedback I'm looking for is a good rod/reel setup. Size/Weight/Action. Should I stick with my orvis reel or get a larger one?

Also I will be fishing rivers in NY. Western Rivers on lake Erie such as the Cattaraugus and also Rivers off of Ontario like the Black river and Salmon river.

Really really appreciate any feedback and thank you in advance.

-Dylan
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gearing up for steelhead. Need some advice!!

How big do the Steelhead get out east?

I used to use a #6, but went to a #8 rod, because I thought I could bring them in without having to tire them out as much, and hopefully, improve their odds of continuing their migration.

Either rod turns over the flies easy enough.

I use conventional tackle, no Spey or Switch rods, you'll need to make that choice first.

If you get a nice fish on, you have to remember you can get into backing pretty quick.. I'd recommend a larger reel, for that eventuality.

A nice inexpensive reel: (The 7/8)

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...oducts_id=7355
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hey Dylan, I just posted on your bat thread. I should be receiving my new Allen Alpha II and Xa very soon (within the next week). You are welcome to give it a try when it arrives. Again, I live in the Buffalo area, but I will be fishing and hunting all around the WNY area. Feel free to respond within the thread or should me a PM, either way. While I don't have a whole lot of experience fly fishing just yet, I'm sure testing out my set-up (its an 8wt rod) may be helpful. I'll trade a test drive for some info on fishing the area

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM

dcw9742 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Hey Dylan, I just posted on your bat thread. I should be receiving my new Allen Alpha II and Xa very soon (within the next week). You are welcome to give it a try when it arrives. Again, I live in the Buffalo area, but I will be fishing and hunting all around the WNY area. Feel free to respond within the thread or should me a PM, either way. While I don't have a whole lot of experience fly fishing just yet, I'm sure testing out my set-up (its an 8wt rod) may be helpful. I'll trade a test drive for some info on fishing the area
Unfortunately I wont be able to meet up this week then ill be gone untill steel head. But ill PM you some of the good spots Ive found.

I will be looking for a conventional type package (not switch or spey). Also it looks like ill be looking for somewhere around a 9'6" rod 8wt and 8wt reel.

Question is what is the best/most reliable/quality combo out there separate or in a package for around $400. There are sooooo many different brands its hard to tell whats good and not.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Found this sage combo...
Sage Vantage Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Outfits
Seems decent and has good reviews. Any opinions?

Ide def like some more input before spending the money
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You could look into somethign like a TFO or Echo with a Lamson reel. Would definitely have you covered and you could keep it under your price point.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw9742 View Post
Hey all. I started fly-fishing this past spring and as you all know what happens... I got hooked! Now that fall is steadily approaching the first thing on my agenda is getting geared up to fish steelhead and possibly some salmon.

For trout I have been running an Orvis Access setup. Access reel 5-7, and Access 8'6" 5 wt. Since the mid arbor reel can technically hold a 7wt line I considered buying an extra spool + line rather than a whole new reel so that is a consideration.

Basically I'm looking for some advice/feedback from you seasoned guys on what kind of setup I should be looking to get. I'm willing to spend up to $400 and although I'm very fond of my Orvis I would be willing to try another brand.

So I guess the kind of feedback I'm looking for is a good rod/reel setup. Size/Weight/Action. Should I stick with my orvis reel or get a larger one?

Also I will be fishing rivers in NY. Western Rivers on lake Erie such as the Cattaraugus and also Rivers off of Ontario like the Black river and Salmon river.

-Dylan
Dylan,
With the info you've given us I'll assume you will mostly be high stick nymphing or indicator fishing, possibly swinging streamers at times. I would go with an 8wt in 9'6" or 10' because you're talking Salmon as well as Steelies. TFO, Sage, St Croix, and other companies make some nice rods that fit the sizes you need, shop around a little and lay hands on the rods to see what feels good to you. Don't overlook imports; some of the rods Cabela's and Bass Pro carry will do the job for you, Cabela's has the Traditional II line and for the money they're a decent rod. In 8 wt they have a 9', 9'6", and a 10'.

Reels are the important tool on a Steelhead/Salmon rod. I recommend a large arbor with a good disc drag; my choice would be a Ross CLA, but the choice for your rod is yours to make.

For flyline for your rig, look at the Rio Clouser line; it's very good for turning over your nymph rigs.

Enjoy your new passion...

Dan
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The Echo/Lamson combo was what I was going to purchase before I decided to wait and get my Allen set-up. As far as fishing, I might end up stopping and throwing a cast or two on the Catt on the way back home today, we'll see what kind of progress I make on the road.

Good luck sorting through the masses to make your purchase, and I'll see you when the steelhead fishing picks up!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-26-2011, 03:45 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw9742 View Post

-Dylan
What size steelhead run in the waters your wanting to fish?

Rick
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 PM

I caught a 9lb'er in waters near the ones Dylan was talking about, and that was only an average-sized one.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on HuronDan's comments. This is solid advice.

Lake Erie Steelies won't get nearly as big on average as what you'll tangle with in Ontario. I would go with a 10ft rod, but that's just me. Definately a great suggestion to spend the money on the reel. My local shop is a big fan of the Echo Ion rods at their price point, which you pick up for under $200.

As for the reel, you could probably get by with the MA Access, but I would go large arbor and get yourself something best suited with an 8wt. I would say go 8wt due to the larger water (compared to the Erie Tribs) you will be fishing and the larger fish. Some guys will even go 9. Lamson has plenty of good options in your price point. Konic, Guru and you may be able to score an older generation of Velocity reel. The drag is all basically the same as I understand it. Ross is another great recommendation, I hear good things about the CLA, but have not fished or held one. I have an Evolution which I can say is wonderful.

I have been throwing Rio's Indicator line fishing the Lake Erie tribs and have been very pleased. I'm mostly high stick/indy fishing.