The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM

dcw9742 is on a distinguished road
Default Caught a Bat mid cast...!!

So I was out yesterday on the cattaraugus creek in western ny fishing for some trout. It started to get dark but I decided to stay out as fishing was slow. It was about that time that I was thinking I would ask you anglers on here if you had ever got a bat on a fly or if they would know the difference. Well I caught a little brown at dark and decided to head back to a more open spot I was familiar with. I had heard some fish rising here and there so I kept my 2 dry flies in tandem on. I got to the pool I wanted to fish and there was probably about 100ft in all directions clear of any debris. Aka free to cast as far as ide like. I stopped a bit before the pool being extra careful and began false casting to get there. Mid cast right around when the fly was passing me I got a bat! I'm not sure if I got two on either fly but there were about 2 or 3 more that swarmed it after the first hit the fly. It was pretty much pitch black and I didnt have a light so I backed off pretty quickly. The Bat(s) that was on my line attached itself to something and I simply backed up until my line broke. It was a pretty scary and crazy thing to happen and I called it a night since there were possibly rabid bats around with flies in their mouths and I couldn't see anything . But needless to say I guess bats dont know the difference between real and fake flies. Granted I do not know whether I simply hooked it as it was flying or whether it took it. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Caught a Bat mid cast...!!

I had a bat grab my fly (a little yellow sally pattern).. .I brought it in all the way to the point I had the fly on a pair of stats.. thinking I'd hooked the bat..

he just wanted it bad, and was holding on to it, not hooked, a few rigorous shakes and he was on his way.. that was about 10-12 years ago.. still funny
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Pretty wild. I've never caught a bat while out fishing, though my roommate caught a healthy (non-rabid) bat in college so we had a pet bat for a while...
Where in NY are you at? I go to school at SUNY Buffalo and I'll definitely be fishing the Catt once I get back to NY.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Ahhhhh yes.... the old bat trick.

I have had the same thing happen. I know others here have as well. Much like your deal, I don't know if it took the fly or if I just snagged it with my back-cast-- I like to think that it took the fly...

I ended up cutting my fly line after stripping it in for a few moments.. My first reaction was to strip it in, but common sense took over and it dawned on me how nasty those things are and I wanted nothing to do with it. Cut the line.

You commented bout 'some' rabid bats around--- I'd play it to the safe side and say 'ALL' bats are rabid (if not rabid, they will carry plenty of other nasty disease)-- you do not want to come into contact with a bat. If you do, it is widely recommended to get checked out, pronto.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Pretty wild. I've never caught a bat while out fishing, though my roommate caught a healthy (non-rabid) bat in college so we had a pet bat for a while...
Where in NY are you at? I go to school at SUNY Buffalo and I'll definitely be fishing the Catt once I get back to NY.
Im currently in East Aurora on an internship but this is my last week. Ive been fishing the Catt all spring and summer its been pretty great. Plan on coming back to the Zoar Valley area for steels this fall...

I would have liked to investigate a little and see if I hooked it or if it grabbed but I didnt want to go snooping in the dark thats for sure. Hopefully i wont be too hesitant to go night fishing again after this because I wanna catch some sharks
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Well, in my experience night-fishing in saltwater, the areas you will be targeting sharks usually don't have very large (or even noticeable) bat populations. Plus, the streamers you'll be heaving at sharks will more than likely show up to the bat's echo-location like another bat, rather than an edible target, or so I would think.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Well, in my experience night-fishing in saltwater, the areas you will be targeting sharks usually don't have very large (or even noticeable) bat populations. Plus, the streamers you'll be heaving at sharks will more than likely show up to the bat's echo-location like another bat, rather than an edible target, or so I would think.
Haha by "sharks" I just meant really big trout . They tend to feed soley at night and spook a lot easier. I was fishing on a small stream in WNY. The Catt as you may know it.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've caught bats (several), dragon flies (they prey on mosquitos) and sparrows. I've also killed two sparrows when I hit them with my fly rod while casting. While surf fishing I've caught a sea gull once. That was the only time I never got my fly back.

Because bats can be rabid, I wind the bat up tp the tip of the fly rod and then hold it under water until it drowns. Trying to live release a bat at night is not in my skill set.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Rabies - New York State Department of Health

There really isn't a safe bat since the incubation period for Rabies in bats can vary.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I have had bats flying around my fly and assumed he was interested in it and always wondered what I would do if they did take a fly. They never did so I still don't know.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)