The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Favorite searching pattern

What's the first fly you turn to when nothing is happening in the way of hatches and you just want to fish the water? My go-to's are usually nymphs and it usually starts with a bead head hare's ear or a bead head prince. What does everyone like?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite searching pattern

If i'm fishing fast pocket water I will usually start with a copper john. If its slower water I'll usually fish one of my trusty customized soft hackle diving caddis.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I'll usually go with a size 16 or 18 BH Flashback Pheasant Tail for a nymph. And a Royal Wulff or Adams for a dry. Wooly Buggers will pretty much always work.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

My first thought would be : What species of fish
are you after ? Trout, smallies, steelhead . . .

If it is trout my favorite is an Elk Hair Caddis. I have
a pattern that the body of the fly is wrapped with a
translucent crystal flash. This gives the fly just a little
sparkle that usually triggers trout.

Tie One on
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I mostly fish for trout. I think I have the most success with a soft hackle for subsurface and a Elk Hair Caddis pattern for surface. I close second for subsurface would be a WD-40.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Has a lot to do with where you are fishing and what time of year it is. One of my favorite setups is a Stimulator, with a small Prince Nymph, Copper John, Scud or Emerger as a dropper. In tail waters I like a Chammy fly with a Midge dropper or a Prince Nymph with a Midge dropper. In Alaska it would be a Woolly Bugger or Egg Sucking Leach unless Salmon are running and then an Egg pattern would be preferred for Rainbows. In the lower 48, a Prince Nymph has to be my favorite.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Like the others i will assume we are talking about trout here.

While nymphing, I go to a large stonefy nymph, most commonly a brown rubber legs. It always has a dropper, either a bead head pheasant tail or bh copper john.

For streamers it is my woolly bugger. Quite a bit of flash and rubber legs for movement, copper wire, black body, olive tail and heavily weighted, size 6.

If not much is going on on the surface I throw a chernoble ant, black and tan or green and tan, with a pheasant tail dropper.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I was speaking of trout. Sorry for the confusion. No other fans of the bead head gold ribbed hare's ear? That fly always seems to take fish for me no matter what time of year or type of water. Maybe it has something to do with the confidence I have in it. I expect it to work, so I probably fish it better.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

You are exactly right... I have always believed that confidence make you a better fisherman.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

While I'm no expert on trout, or any other fish for that matter, I tie a gold bead head P bugger, size 14 usually. This is a very simple fly, and will stand up to a lot of fish abuse. A gold bead, a tail of crystal flash material, rainbow colored, and a body of peacock herl. That's it, no hackle, etc. I usually strip this with no strike indicator. Depending on the depth of water, either a flurocarbon furled leader and tippet, or just a plain nylon mono furled leader and tippet.