The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Tie Stream side?

Do you ever tie flies stream side to match a hatch?

I don't. The areas I fish have well published hatch charts and I don't really have the need to. I know a lot of folks do tie stream side.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM

BruceN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tie Steam side?

Nope. Never. It might be a good thing to try, though. With all those fish gathering to laugh at me I'd probably be able to just scoop up a few with the landing net if I was quick enough...

Bruce
Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tie Stream side?

I do if we are on a several day trip. I find ONE fly that is working killer, I will tie up a bunch for the whole party.
I have even used a leatherman tool as a vise to do this.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have even used a leatherman tool as a vise to do this.
That's cool! The other day I was day dreaming wondering what common house hold tools and materials one could use in a pinch to make a fly.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

I have never tied streamside. I have come prepared many times, but it has never come too that. I would like to know how many I have tied in hotel rooms, under crappy light, with my drunk buddies telling me how many huge fish they caught.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Once on a high lake, (11,000ft) we found some very large Golden trout who would only eat large Goldenstone nymphs!! We had one between the two of us. Fisticuffs were in the making, but we avoided blood by clipping material from a tan Patagonia pile jacket, using sewing thread, and hemostats for a vice. We stripped a few streamers of their feathers, and friendship saved. Since then, a tying kit always goes with me. Sometimes you see fish feeding on things not in your box, often I improve on patterns that I did have.

Bigfly
Old 07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Time on the stream is too precious to do anything but fish. I've never tied at streamside- the closest I've come is snipping and trimming flies on-stream. But I usually lug along tying stuff to tie at night at camp or wherever I'm staying if the trip is over several days. Aside from giving you something to do if you get weathered out, it also let's you tie up more of stuff that has been working and gives a chance to tie up stuff that might be worth trying based on unexpected stream conditions etc. or to replicate a hot fly

mark
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

Love to tie but mostly do so at camp or home. Live close enough that I have come off the river to tie and then gone back.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

i have carried a kit to tie with after fishing. Sometimes a B.W.O. is a different size or shade of color, and the fish know it..same goes for the salt to..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Not on day trips. But when I am on the road for a few days of fishing, I will put together a small tying kit that I put in a laptop computer carrying case and bring with me. Joni, that's a great idea using a multitool. I had to use a pair of locking pliers (vise grips), the long nose model once and it worked pretty good.