The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod for Great Lakes Salmon and Steel...need desprite help~

Well Burk, that sounds like some pretty serious productivity! I might have to pop my reel on my buddy's 8wt spey and see how it does Until then, I'll be the lowly spinning caster not landing any... hahaha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Well...i got him to buy an 8 weight. He picked up a Cabelas rod a couple days ago and is ready to go. Me on the other hand...not so sure now. You all have me psyched out. I was going to use my steelhead rod but it sounds like everyone thinks it will be too light. I have landed countless Erie and Superior trib steelies and Superior Pinks with it, but the biggest beasite was probably 12lbs. I went to Cabelas today in fact to buy a specific Salmon rod but i couldn't pull the trigger. I guess im going to go at it with what i have...and ill report back. Wish me luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good luck! Tred Barta landed a sailfish on 2 lb test while in a wheelchair, so that seems to suggest anything is possible!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I recently talked to a friend who lives for Steelhad in the spring and Salmon in the fall here in Michigan's U.P. He reccommend's a 6 or 7 wt. if you don't intend to horse them in. I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. Z-Axis on the way now for this fishing.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I recently talked to a friend who lives for Steelhad in the spring and Salmon in the fall here in Michigan's U.P. He reccommend's a 6 or 7 wt. if you don't intend to horse them in. I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. Z-Axis on the way now for this fishing.
Seriously, I think with a 6 weight you're going to be way undergunned for Lower Penninsula salmon and steel anyhow. As I said earlier, we were amazed a 7 weight Loomis didn't explode with some of the salmon we had on. With Michigan steelhead you could get by with a 6 weight but for salmon, make sure your reel is as smooth and strong as can be and that your rod has a great warranty. Forget about horsing the fish, steering it clear of cover and landing it quickly enough that it survives the fight. Those salmon and steelhead.can get big and strong and they somehow know how to use currect to their benefit.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Good luck! Tred Barta landed a sailfish on 2 lb test while in a wheelchair, so that seems to suggest anything is possible!

I wonder how many log jams were around were he hooked that sailfish?

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Seriously, I think with a 6 weight you're going to be way undergunned for Lower Penninsula salmon and steel anyhow. As I said earlier, we were amazed a 7 weight Loomis didn't explode with some of the salmon we had on. With Michigan steelhead you could get by with a 6 weight but for salmon, make sure your reel is as smooth and strong as can be and that your rod has a great warranty. Forget about horsing the fish, steering it clear of cover and landing it quickly enough that it survives the fight. Those salmon and steelhead.can get big and strong and they somehow know how to use currect to their benefit.
I couldn't agree more. I just got off the Betsy river today, I'll post some pics for tomorrow. Landed 8 kings, hooked maybe thirty. Saw one broken 9 foot 8 weight, one broken 9 foot 9 weight, and my buddy blew up a 12 -8 weight switch rod. The early rivers in NW MI are loaded with agressive strong fresh fish. There are a few streams (lower Platte) where you can get away with a long seven for Kings. But not on rivers like the Betsy, Pere Marquette, Manisteee with powerful current, lot's of logs and a lot of bends. Every fish I landed today I had to follow for at least fifty yards. I had 10-12 Fish into my backing with a 110 foot spey line and 8 or 10 pound flouro leaders.

I'll post pics tommorow but I've been in the salmon game a long time, and a six weight is asking for it on Lake MI fish. These Fish are chrome and strong, they literally wear you out. Oh and every color worked as long as it was black. I probably went thru thirty flies today, better be good at rigging. I got all my fish on yarn indicators in slots with a couple of bb split shot. Walking out I saw a couple of runs with 50-60 fish in them.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Here, I promised some pics. One other note, a few have mentioned fishing in the UP, The average lake Superior fish (excluding St Marys river) are much smaller (shorter growing season) than the fish out of Lake MI or Lake Huron. As you can see from below, this is not six weight territory:

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's my buddy Matt in a "hero shot"

And one of him fighting a fish, I hope this gives you some idea of the tight quarters and clear water you're dealing with.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Awesome photos Burk! Looks like some great fun!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road

I know this may be considered lower end, but I bought an Orvis Streamline2 kit (on sale for $150, was $200) for steelhead for an upcoming trip in November. The Clearwater reel isn't up to the task. The drag is very weak IMHO. I paired it with an Access IV reel. I've been getting used to it by chasing bass... I like it.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I owe you Southern Guys in the L.P. a apology on selecting a rod. I never knew Lake Michigan Salmon got that big. That's some beautiful fish and something to look forward to next year when I retire and probably move into 7 or 8 weight rods.