The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rod for Great Lakes Salmon and Steel...need desprite help~

Well...i figured i would let you guys know how it went.

First and foremost...you all were absolutely correct. A 6 weight is not enough gun! While i did land some fish and did not break the rod, i lost a lot more fish and had zero control of all but the smallest Jacks...and even they were pretty out of control. I had planned to use my 7 weight but this turned into more of an experiment than anything else. My reel, a Pflueger medalist 1494 held up to the task and the powerful lightning quick runs and gave a perfect performance. While the stopping power wasn't the strongest, it was adequate and smooth. The rod a Winston BIIX 6x9 spent the bulk of its day bent into the cork! Way underpowered as i mention previously. After my experience with 25 plus hookups i would forgo even the 8 weight rods and look at a strong 9 minimum! I would feel pretty good about a Pflueger medalist 1495 with its larger capacity. I had a WF6 Sharkskin and 100 yards of 25lb backing on the smaller 1494 and was totally spooled once on a 40 pound fish. The fish took off so quickly that by the time i grabbed the spool and straightened the rod out the fish was 75 yards into the backing. The backing broke surprisingly and i watched a $100 fly line shoot down the river! Fortunately a fellow angler grabbed it for me and the fish had already broke off (probably foul hooked).

It was so odd to see that many huge fish in such a small river! The Betsie was totally packed with fresh Kings and anglers! Literally shoulder to shoulder. I was surprised that everyone seemed to get a long and i did not see one problem and actually a lot of laughing and back slapping and strangers helping others land hot fish! Not at all what i expected.

In summary...go with at least an 8 weight...better with a 9 or 10!

Thanks to Ard, Burk, Dan and all the others who offered their expertise! See you all on the Betsie Lou!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rod for Great Lakes Salmon and Steel...need desprite help~

Good info and thanks for the report.