The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 AM

keb is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on Fly Line choice

Hi,

I tried to buy a new WFF Fly line recently. I am fishing a Sage 590 XP and was told that since this is such a stiff, fast action rod that I should run a 6 wt. line instead of a 5 wt. Most of my fishing is done from a drift boat.

Is this advice accurate?

TIA,
KEB
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need advice on Fly Line choice

The Sage XP is a very fast action rod, but assuming you bought it because that's what you wanted, you should not "over-line" it. This will slow it down and you won't be getting the rod you paid for. If you want to slow the rod down, or fish larger flies on shorter casts, then maybe a 6wt would be the better option. But as a rule, don't overline the rod.

I would go with one of the 5wt WFF lines that is designed to be a bit heavy like the SA GPX, or the Rio Grand, or get one of Cortland's lines available in a 5.5 wt. 444 Precision Trout Hi-Vis, Cortland Fly Line, Fly Line, Cortland Line fly fishing gear

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM

keb is on a distinguished road

Cliff,

Thanks for the advice and quick response. :-)
Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

I have heard the same thing you were told about the XP rods that they cast better with one weight size bigger. It is not the norm for fly rods but true with the XP I've been told. I don't own one so I couldn't personally tell you how it will be.

There was a news letter that a local shop here puts out and he mentions that also about the sage XP. I'll see if I still have a copy. He is a Sage dealer and knows his stuff.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

CO Cajun, I'm not attacking what you said, but
Quote:
they cast better
is a subjective statement. If not, then there would only need to be one rod on the market, because it would be best for everybody.

Though many disagree, Sage is prolly thought of by more than any other as the best fly rod maker out there, and they were trying to make the best rod they could when they created the XP. If they thought a given blank they created in their XP series cast best with a 6 wt line on it, they would call it a 690-4XP instead of a 590-4XP.

While it is possible that a given caster will find an overlined XP easier to cast, and maybe even the majority of fly casters, that doesn't mean that is the best line for that rod. Same as a majority of people thinking the world is flat don't make it so.

I don't mean this as a personal attack for any on this thread, just wanted to clarify all that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with the XP either. The closest I could come would be my T3 tip flex.
I agree totally on not overlining, specially floating. Sinking lines however, they are a smaller diameter line anyway and sometimes they DO cast better one heavier.
I know the Streambance GLX did.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM

tetonshaggy is on a distinguished road

We have completley switched over to the Rio Clowser line. This line performs well on Sage XP's that many of our beginners are using. We also use it on our super fast SP+. You won't need to line up with this line. It is like a weight and a half line.

Idaho Fly Fishing Lodge
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know tetonshaggy
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
CO Cajun, I'm not attacking what you said, but is a subjective statement. If not, then there would only need to be one rod on the market, because it would be best for everybody.

Though many disagree, Sage is prolly thought of by more than any other as the best fly rod maker out there, and they were trying to make the best rod they could when they created the XP. If they thought a given blank they created in their XP series cast best with a 6 wt line on it, they would call it a 690-4XP instead of a 590-4XP.

While it is possible that a given caster will find an overlined XP easier to cast, and maybe even the majority of fly casters, that doesn't mean that is the best line for that rod. Same as a majority of people thinking the world is flat don't make it so.

I don't mean this as a personal attack for any on this thread, just wanted to clarify all that.

Hey Cliff,
No offense taken. It makes perfect sence what you said. I actully thought the same thing the first time I heard that. "Why didn't they just call it a 6wt instead of a 5wt." I don't own one so I don't know how it would cast either way. I just found it interesting that I had heard before and then someone told that to Keb also.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM

greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I have fished the XP a lot and would stick with the recommended size by the manufacturer. The XP is great rod that loves to cast long distances. I have notice with beginners they struggle to cast short distances with the XP. I could see where a BEGINNER might like to overline it. My suggestion if you are a beginner is to take a day and learn to cast. Take advantage of the rod you have and not turn it into a different rod.