The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Paid my dues on Saturday for a great day on Sunday

I went out on Saturday to fish the Arkansas River. The temp was in the upper 30's. It rained, it snowed the biggest flakes I've ever seen, and then it rained again. I had on a gore tex jacket and I still got wet. The water seeped through the jacket where my soaked chest pack was.

The fish I caught were hanging out in slack water where there was a fast current seam close by. The fly of the day was a chartruse caddis larve which represents the free swiming caddis on the river. I had the privilage of hooking onto 6 fish on Saturday, and landing 3 of them.

Sunday, what a difference 24 hours and some nice weather can make. I went back to my favorite area where I had fished the day before. It was a whole different game. It was in the 50's and the fish were feeding in the riffles. I used the same caddis larve fly but instead of peacock ice dub, I had used black peacock ice dub for the thorax. I caught about 12 fish and missed just as many. It was an awesome day to be out.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Paid my dues on Saturday for a great day on Sunday

Yep, Texas ain't the only place where the weather can change that much day to day. Sounds like Sunday was made even more enjoyable because of how miserable Saturday was. Where about on the Ark were u fishing? A buddy of mine is moving to Co Springs, and I hope to "have to" check in on him often.

I love that peacock ice dub stuff as well, I've gotten to where its my go-to dubbing for any really dark fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Yep, Texas ain't the only place where the weather can change that much day to day. Sounds like Sunday was made even more enjoyable because of how miserable Saturday was. Where about on the Ark were u fishing? A buddy of mine is moving to Co Springs, and I hope to "have to" check in on him often.

I love that peacock ice dub stuff as well, I've gotten to where its my go-to dubbing for any really dark fly.

Hey Cliff,
I usually fish around Texas Creek, from about 4 miles east and 4 miles west with all points in between. I'd say from Texas Creek going west is all good. From Texas Creek going east there is the "Rubber Hatch" in the summer time. Not as bad to the west. I live in the Springs so if you are ever here, let me know and I'll take you fishing if you want to. I'll maybe even take you to my special strech of river. You can't tell no one about it. *LOL* It's no secret, Hwy 50 runs right by it, it has awesome water and parking is very limited. I think that it is overlooked because most people don't know where to park.

Ice dub! Great stuff!
There are a lot of patterens that folks use the peacock ice dub for. I don't come across to many folks using the Black Peacock ice dub. I perfer the Black peacock better. It seems to have a little more of an edge I think when fishing the same fly, one with black peacock and the other with regular peacock ice dubbing. That's just my observation.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I was out on Saturday too.

Fished the Saint Vrain in pounding rain, hail, and sleet.

The interesting thing is that the surface of the water was covered with bugs (gnats, midges, etc.) In some areas, there were so many surface insects that the foam on the river's edge was black with bugs.

However, I never saw a single fish rise to the surface all day. I ended up nymphing, and caught a single, small brown on a purple bead-head prince.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

CC, I've fished somewhere in there. Was one of those magical starts to a trip- Dad and I had driven up to Pueblo from the DFW metromess the day before, and wanted to get some fishing in as soon as possible. We were headed to Salida for our base for the trip, and pulled over at the first stretch of water on the Ark that looked really good.

I saw a lazy riser upstream and took my time picking out my favorite CO dry, a sz 18 green Stimi, and positioned myself for the cast. I hooked up on the first or second cast and it was one of those things that just feels good. I looked at the whole situation, thought through all I knew to give myself the best shot at hooking that fish, positioned myself carefully, and had success. I can't think of a better way to kick off a trout trip.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Kai, our experiences sound very simular. We had a few midges hatch too and I was hoping for some BWO's. I think the problem was the temperature was too cold and probably the same thing where you was for any top action.

Cliff, It is always an awesome feeling to see a fish, stalk it, and catch it. Those are some of the times I remember most on past trips. I see a lot of folks that start fishing as soon as they get into the canyon. I perfer the water after about the first 10 miles of following the river. The fish seem smaller in the first strech and it gets fished a lot. A lot of bait chunkers stop within the first few miles. In the summer, the rafters run through there too. The way I learned the river was marking spots I've done good at with my GPS and making notes. I don't use it any more since I know it pretty well up to Howard. Stimulator are great in the summer, as well as hoppers. We fish hopper dropper rigs through summer and fall for the most part. Usually size 10 - 14. If you are ever going there again, let me know and I'll email you some locations to stop at. I won't post them on the internet because everywhere around here gets enough people and exposure as it is. It amazes me how some of the local folks will write articals just to promote themselves without thinking about the impact it has on certain fisheries. Anyway, that a whole different topic.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tips in advance Cajun. I think we were on past the first area you mentioned. Looking at a map, I really think we were pretty close to TX Creek. The river had already gotten a bit smaller by that point. It was a fairly straight stretch where we stopped, with pretty slow and slick water. (for the Ark, anyway) I recall there being some sort of little store in a very old looking hut like building just upstream from it, tucked into a corner of the canyon wall right before the road bent back to the right.

FOR ANY LURKERS THINKING I'M GIVING AWAY A GOOD SPOT, I HAVEN'T FISHED THE ARK SINCE AUGUST OF 2002, AND I'M JUST GUESSING ON THE SPOT.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You wanna talk temp change. Yesterday it was a little overcast, windy 70 degrees, today in the 50's with a winter storm advisory. Expecting 3" to a foot later today. ARGHHHHHH!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
You wanna talk temp change. Yesterday it was a little overcast, windy 70 degrees, today in the 50's with a winter storm advisory. Expecting 3" to a foot later today. ARGHHHHHH!

*LOL* Are there any BWO's out?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
*LOL* Are there any BWO's out?
Yes, but they are wearing earmuffs and mufflers LOL