The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM

esmith3102 is on a distinguished road
Default New Fly Fisherman

Hello all!!! I have always fished for trout but with bait. I have always had a desire to fly fish but was not raised around it so i know very little about it. I have recently bought all new stuff to learn fly tying and i love it. I hve a very good friend that is helping me out ALOT with learning about tying. I am still on basic stuff but taking it slow and do a few of each size.
I do have a question that i hope to get a few opinions on. I live in central Pennsylvania and am going to be going to Colorado the end of May and will be there till July. I am hoping to move there by the end of the year. My question is what Flies would you recommend that i have in my boxes for the trip. Also what streams should i hit up. I will not be too far from the South Platte...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Fly Fisherman

The S. Platter is sweet water, large fish. But, to be warned, they are selective. Flies to take; nymphs, RS2, pheasant tails, GR Hares Ear, Emergers in Chocolate, grey and red. Dries; Comparaduns, Griffith's Gnat and adams - sizes 18 to 24.

Places I like to fish; Cheeseman Canyon, Spinney area, Above Antero Res., Tomahawk WLA.

Welcome to this madness.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Trucha's advice about the South Platte is right on.

Are you close to Harrisburg, or elsewhere in central PA?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Trucha did hit it dead on. During your trip, the Arkansas will be experiencing run off so the S. Platte will be your best option. The water is cold in the S.P. keeping the bugs small. Size 20 and smaller are the most common size flys. Caddis and small yellow sallies will probably be starting around that time too. There aren't large hatches of each but fishing those patterns are very effective. Sizes 18 - 16 on the caddis and Y.S. It gets crowded on the S.P. especially when the Ark is in run off so that is around the time I crack out my float tube. Spinny Res. is also another option for you. If you move close to Colorado Springs, we have a awesome fly fishing club. Check it out, Pikes Peak Flyfishers | Home Page we have over 120 members with experience levels from beginner to expert casting instructors. We have free casting clincs, tieing classes, have a library of books and video, and have monthly group trips. It is a great group of people with lots of folks willing to teach and help someone. All that for $20.00 a year membership. Can't beat it!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I am very excited and the end of May can not come soon enough for me. The closed big town near me is State College. Penn State University is there. It is about 40 minutes east of me. Harrisburgh is probably 2-2.5 hours east for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Once there lived a man name Joe Humphreys. He taught fly fishing at PSU, made some video's, and in doing so taught a guy from TX tons about fly fishing.

Man, there is some great fishing near you. No need to wait until you're in CO.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 PM

I have been going to Spring Creek and Fisherman's Paradise. The water is pretty nice right now. It was pretty rough first 2 times I was at Spring Creek..I think i might try to get back there this weekend if i get the chance! Some big fish there to be had that's for sure.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Have to agree with Big Cliff on central PA fly fishing. Some very nice trout water right in you backyard. Now, I can blame you for wanting to go to CO to fish the S. Platte by no means. Anywhere in CO or PA would be nice enough compared to the Piney Woods of E. Texas when it comes to Trout fishing. Good luck in both places.
Thanks,
Terry