williston, nd

perchpuller

Reaction score
just wanted to say hi to everyone, as i am new to the forum. i just have a quick general question for anyone who may be able to help. i may possibly be moving to williston, nd, which is in the northwest corner of north dakota, just wanted to know if there were any rivers or streams in the area that hold a fishable number of trout? from what i have found searching around, all of the trout fishing areas are in lake, and i would much rather trout fish in some type of moving water.

Thanks for any help,

jason keller

gatortransplant

Reaction score
:welcome: Jason! I'm sorry that I can't help you with the ND question, but just wanted to say welcome and ensure you that there's almost certainly someone on the forum that will be able to more than adequately answer your questions!

perchpuller

Reaction score
well thanks...im thinking right now that driving over into montana somewhere will probably be my best bet

poke em

Reaction score
You can safely say that there are no trout streams anywhere close to Williston. You're moving there for the money, but be prepared to give up any sense of recreation...

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

There is some warmwater fishing in/around Williston, though even that's fairly limited. The Missouri's hard to fish without a boat, and the Little Muddy is so crowded at the few access points, it'd be pretty hard to cast a fly. There are a few lakes around with bass/pike/perch. I guess they put rainbows in Sather Lake (about an hour S of Williston).

Technically, there are some trout below Ft Peck dam; that's only about 2.5 hours away, but it's not exactly what I'd call a "trout stream." The closet real trout water would be the Bighorn, and that's about 4.5 hours away.

Who would you be going to work for?

dusty h

Reaction score
Interested to see if anyone does know of any good fishing in this area. My neighbor from utah moved to williston state college to play baseball and i was thinking about going for a visit sometime soon.

poke em

Reaction score
Interested to see if anyone does know of any good fishing in this area. My neighbor from utah moved to williston state college to play baseball and i was thinking about going for a visit sometime soon.
If you've got a boat, there's some decent walleye fishing on Sakakawea. Without a boat, things get a lot tougher.

montuckylucky

Reaction score
I am just south of there and have all my gear.I do know a good pike spot less then an hour away. With slow moving water. But I am going to do some exploring soon.