The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Same 'ol stuff....just different day

I love trout fishing in smaller creeks off of main rivers, especially ones full of brown trout. After a while though, I need more. Maybe some bigger smallies, or finally getting a redeye bass, or even some larger trout. However, didn't feel like braving any new ground today. Today was trout again. I walked past my usual path to sit on the bridge and watch the fish for a while and enjoy a beverage.
Click the image to open in full size.

All I could see were the usual runts, but they're still fun. So, game plan in mind and fly selected/tied on, I hit the water.

First fish is the average runt that I see everywhere.

I noticed a hatch coming off, but couldn't see what they were. Not that it matters, because I don't have any sz. 28 flies. I did manage to catch one eventually to look at it. Anyone know what it is? Looked small for a mayfly, so I was thinking some sort of midge.

I heard fish hitting everywhere, but it was hard to get them to eat what I had. I tried a streamer for a while to no avail. This is the first time I have went there without having ANY fog on the water. I guess that can be a good thing and a bad thing. I could for once sight fish, but they could also see me better. It was cool seeing some decent size browns come up and give my fly a look, then dart back below. There was one that was 12-14" that kept "almost" attacking my fly. I thought I finally got him, but it was his little brother.
I kept trying different flies and finally got him to eat a march brown. (sz14).
Notice the white tip on their fins, reminds me of brookies.

Close up....

It was getting late, and the mosquitoes were pissing me off, so I started fishing my way back. Caught a few more of these...

When I got back to my car, I noticed I had a demon cat sitting next to it.

Good thing my g/f wasn't with me, I would have had to take the damn cat home.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Same 'ol stuff....just different day

Cats are always near good fisherman car or house..they simply smell the fish
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was a cool report of a days trip, and some beautiful fish also.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 AM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

Awesome! I love visiting streams that are old friends. It is comfortable and relaxing.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

If you ever get up my way let me know! I get several rock bass (red eye) every time i go smallie fishing! All things being equal...i would rather have caught the trout you did!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report...nice stream and fishare you sure it was a cat....looks like gremlin to me
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

geat stuff!

casey

ARFE
Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good day on the river, nice and relaxing the way it should be. Nice looking fish too! Congrats!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I am not complaining by any means, I worked so hard just to catch a brown on the fly. Then I wanted to get bigger ones. The water I fish, these 12-14" browns are about as big as they get. Just once I want to get into the 3-4lb. nice colorful, kyped jaw males. Just once!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur