The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 AM

tcampbell011 is on a distinguished road
Default What's your method of stripping streamers

How do you strip your streamers? I'm mainly talking about wolly huggers in western rivers. I've heard your supposed to try and mend the line so streamer is broadside to the trout, but should I do long strips or little ones? Also do you put weights on the line?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I've never used a streamer before and I heard you can get some bigger fish. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What's your method of stripping streamers

Unless I'm fishing in still water I seldom strip them. I use what can best be described as 'greased line swinging' this is the technique that does a good job of moving the fly semi perpendicular to the current or broadside if you like. No weight on the fly and you can make leaders that sink like this.

4' of 25 Lb. Maxima looped to, 2 or 3' of braided lead head looped to 4 - 5 foot of 15 pound Maxima. It will turn over a size 2/0 salmon fly with the proper energy in your delivery and will swing that unweighted fly at about 4- 5 feet of depth with proper line control.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcampbell011 View Post
How do you strip your streamers?
Sometimes fast. Sometimes slow. Sometimes varied. You are going to have to experiment to figure which one works best in your situation.

Quote:
I've heard your supposed to try and mend the line so streamer is broadside to the trout...
I am not sure if that works, but what the heck. Think about it this way. Which direction will a baitfish try to escape? Will it go upstream or downstream? Try mending upstream on one cast and downstream on another. Try to figure out what happens to the fly when you do those maneuvers.

Quote:
...but should I do long strips or little ones?
Try experimenting.

Quote:
Also do you put weights on the line?
Very rarely. Either one relies on the weight of the fly or the sink rate of a sink tip line to get depth.

Quote:
Sorry for the newbie questions but I've never used a streamer before and I heard you can get some bigger fish. Thanks!
Good luck!

Dennis
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I use a small split shot about 6 inches above the fly. Cast...count to desired depth...strip strip strip... pause...wiggle...small strip... wiggle...pause...strip strip.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Kelly Gallop recommends the "jerk-strip" method (if I remember correctly that's what it's called.)

He casts across stream, then, as the fly drifts downstream, he jerks the fly rod a few inches downstream, then moves the rod back upstream and strips some line, then jerks and strips again.

Maybe you can find a good description on the web.

I, however, just varry my strips, eg. short, pause, long, long, short, short, pause, long.

Anything to mimic an injured or struggling fish.

Randy
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Well, I guess it's obvious, but fish face upstream...so if you strip upstream you're dragging your fly past the fish from behind, while their eyes and mouth are in front. Don't know about presenting the fly broadside, but it sure needs to get in front of the fish while he has a chance to eat it.

A really good streamer fisherman told me he often casts upstream to the far bank and immediately throws a huge mend downstream. Then when he strips, he is stripping toward the front of the fish...It has worked for me, but I don't fish streamers enough. The takes are awesome.

-Mike
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

usually just use a strip pause type retrieve.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't do a whole lot of stripping. I cast perpindicular to the river, three quick strips to get a tight line and let it swing. When it gets to be straight down river wait 30 seconds, strip two or three small ones and do it again. With supple materials like bou, squirrell and rabbit the current will do the work for you.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

Your going to have to change it up until you discover what they want. Stitching into the palm of your line hand, strip strip pause strip, to long sweeps of your rod while halling in the excess. You can even tuck you rod under you arm and double hand it. Fishing a tight line down stream is a way I like. It keeps your fly in the water. You can give a stream action by raising and lowering your rod tip. Play out line. You even move you fly from left to right, if your fly isn't to far away, by through a belly it one way or the other. You have to watch your approach a lot more. You are sending silt and noise down stream, if your not careful. Works great for nymphing too.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Post deleted

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 09-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.