The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default New guy on the river

Well I think I should make an introduction to the forum so here it goes.

My name is Layton McAndrew and all I think about is fishing, I was an avid master baiter until last christmas when I received an orvis clearwater rod and reel which was a big step up from a walmart rod.

I live on Prince Edward Island, Canada. One of the only places in the world where brookies are still king. I am lucky enough to be able to go to almost any brook, creek, or stream and catch brookies over 12". The biggest one I saw this year was 28" and around 8lbs, the biggest I've caught was 3.5lbs and 21" but that was on bait.
We are also lucky enough to have a few rivers with bows, these were accidentally introduced form cages, these fish were of steelhead strain so we now have half a dozen rivers with awesome steelhead fishing with 10lbs fish being caught every year.
And last but not least we have a number of rivers that are home to atlantic salmon, and this year I caught a 34" kelt

So I guess I can say that I am thankful to have such an awesome fishery at my doorstep and hope to expand my knowledge in fly fishing via people I meet on the river and over the web
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy on the river

Welcome to the forum Latshki

Sounds like some awesome fishing going on up your way.

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Layton: Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you live in fly fishing paradise! LOL! Keep us posted on your fly fishing adventures!

Larry

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum layton!
from the sound of it you are smack dab in some great fly fishing waters.
looking forward to seeing/hearing about your future progress

casey

ARFE
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I envy those brooks you have up there. Around here, a brook over 8 inches is big, a brook over 10 inches is a trophy.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.
Yeah I'd say that I am quite lucky to have some awesome brookies and your welcome to join me on the river any day.
I also just got into fly tying so that should keep the winter blues in check, I really hope to get a good dry and nymph collection together over the winter as I love the challenge of figuring out what's hatching or what the trout are rising for.

Earlier this year I was spending the day on one of my favorite rivers, there was some hatch going on and I caught nearly a hundred bows and brookies that day.
The very next day I was completely skunked as far as drys go but got a few bows on a PTN
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Welcome Layton, looking forward to seeing the photos and stories of paradise!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

We3lcome to the Forum Layton...Looking forward to all your future posts...

Dan
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Layton
You're fortunate to live in/on PEI. It's a beautiful place
Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you live in a fisherman's paradise! Look forward to your input and of course, your pictures and stories!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)