The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Slammin' Good day on the Blueline

I watched the weather very closely last night and this morning. It looked like the best chance of rain and thunderstorms would be later in the day, so I headed off to the high country.

It started raining by the time I hit I-40. Off the interstate and climbing the mountain, it started raining harder, then it got foggy. It rained even harder when I hit the Forest Road. I reached the trailhead and decided to sit in the truck and eat a sandwich. It stopped raining before I finished my breakfast and I was soon bushwacking down to the stream.

Water levels were good and I just knew some big boys would be out to play. This particular stream has some big browns and rainbows. I figured with the rain, a green weenie just might be what they would want. Yep, I was wrong on that, seemed to want something more natural, so I was soon fishing a small wolfe and small BHHE. The big ones did not want to play, all fish caught were small.

The fishing was pretty slow, the wind kicked up and the skies were not looking friendly. I fished on, catching small browns and rainbows.

Click the image to open in full size.

I saw a few big fish, but they were too smart for me today. I fished up to a good exit point, baled out of the creek, hiked back to the truck, and decided to drive up to the headwaters. The sun had just come out and the fishing had picked up a little. I figured the brooks might want to play.

They were more than willing to devour my fly, dry and dropper. No big fish, but I caught a bunch of them, it was fun.

On the way home, I decided to stop and fish a roadside stream I have never fished before. I did not plan to fish long, I just wanted to check it out. I walked down the trail and saw a nice looking hole. I could not get to it from the trail without spooking the hole, so I bushwacked a bit so I could come in below this beautiful hole.

First cast and a very nice rainbow devoured my dry, I set the hook, he rolled once and came unhooked. This fish was at least 14 inches. I stood there in disbelief for a moment and moved on. I fished for a few minutes until I caught a small brown and decided to head home. I figured since it was my first time there, I had to at least catch one fish.

Oh, the leaves are starting to bite pretty good, too. I caught quite a few of them today, all different colors and sizes.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Slammin' Good day on the Blueline

Most excellent post here!

Those fish are absolute gems and I know exactly how you felt when that bow came loose from the hook. I got a few leaves yesterday myself,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I am an ardent leaf collector! Those fish are sure dressed up in their most colorful outfits today. Beautiful!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Nice looking fish and congrats, looks like it was a good day! We have leaves and acorns coming down. They are hitting the water like depth charges!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

possessed: Great report, thanks for sharing and congrats on some awesome looking fish even though the big guys didn't cooperate. The fall colors on those fish are just beautiful. The leaves here in Wyoming are also coming down hard.

Larry

Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Nice report.....AGAIN!!!! You have to slow down, you're killing me! Next time I come up that way, I want to fish with you!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur