The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Another mountain trip

So to kick off the weekend, I took the girlfriend to an Alan Jackson concert to earn brownie points for the upcoming fishing trip. The concert was nice, minus the obnoxious/drunk bammers behind us that kept yelling, "Roll Tide."
Click the image to open in full size.
After getting in late, I had to get some sleep. I was set to meet a buddy the next morning to head to my new favorite fishing grounds. After 3 hours of sleep, and even more driving time, the destination was in view.
Time to get the mind right......
So we arrive at the first creek and fishing was tough (for me). It was small, technical water.
My first (and last) fish in this creek would be this monster brown.....
Caught back up with my buddy, and he had caught a nice little rainbow.
Fishing was slow there, so it was time for a change of location. Along the way, we hit a traffic jam. Turns out, it was just a bear sighting. Got a few crappy pics.
Mama bear with cub above her to the left.
Cub
The next stream was equally slow for me. All I caught was this little rainbow.
The scenery made up for the lack of fish though.
Yellow stonefly
I could look at this all day....
This is where things get interesting. We decide to head to the (backcountry) campsite. It is already dark:30 so we will be hiking in with headlamps. I had equipment for a campground camping, not a hike-in camp. So it was a little interesting trying to bring my tent bag, tent, fishing gear, sleeping bag, etc. all somehow attached to my regular backpack. Luckily it was only a 1.2 mile hike in. We find the site and get a fire going. The temp has now dropped into the 50s.
So being almost dead from fishing and no sleep the night before, I want to eat and chill by the fire. So once a suitable brat-roasting stick is found, I feel the need to "modify" mine to make it even better. Bad idea.
Sliced my thumb from the top of the nail, down to the nail bed. Blood was freely flowing all over me, the ground, my gear, etc. So neither of us have a first-aid kit (why would we need one?). The only thing I can do is wash some water over it and then wrap it up with the dry socks for the next day. I then proceed to enjoy the hard-earned, campfire-grilled brat, the first real food of the long day. So after shooting the bull around the campfire, we notice that the lantern has attracted quite a few trout bugs.
Salmonfly
Caddis

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another mountain trip

FYI- My buddy ate a caddis fly and said it made him one with the fish. In retrospect I should have eaten all of the caddis I saw, because he caught a heck of a lot more fish than me.
So after a long sleepless night of pain, cold (40s) and fear of a bear smelling my blood everywhere, it was time to break down camp.
I decided if I was going to fish anymore, I needed real bandages, not socks. So we headed to the visitor center hoping for a first aid kit. I got myself bandaged up and was ready for the day. Saw a lot of these when we left camp.....
Fished another super small creek. My buddy being way more experienced with this type of fishing caught quite a few brookies out of it. I missed a lot of strikes, but found the fishing there to be a little too technical for my skill level. This creek was considerably smaller than any other creek I have fished up there.
You could really only bow and arrow cast, and getting a good drift was a struggle for me.
We decided to try somewhere else, and made the hike back out.
Pain medicine....
Heading for bigger water
Had a LDR on a nice rainbow fish out of this pool.
Almost stepped on this little guy:
Last spot of the trip....
This trip was humbling. Nowhere near the number of fish I caught last time, but the scenery and good company made up for the lack of fish. Although, I did learn a few things on this trip:
1) Bring proper equipment for backpacking, including a first aid kit.
2) Don't play around with sharp knives
3) Eat more caddis flies.
I hope I can get back up there again soon. That type of fishing is certainly addictive and it would take more than a thumb injury to deter me from future trips. For those of you who care, my thumb is healing......

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great trip, with a nice scar to boot. Thanks for posting the pictures, makes me want to go camping and grab some of the Fat Tire beer I have in the fridge... Hope your finger heals alright.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Aside from the cut it looks like a great time, much of the fun is in the hunt, IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

All in all it looks like a memorable trip. My last camping trip resulted in a large Rotweiller deciding he wanted my thumb more than I did. Same hand, same thumb, much more grewsome picture. All in all I would trade my adventure for yours.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh yes, I can just see you retelling this adventure to your grankids someday.

OUtside of the cut thumb it looked to be a great trip.

Dave

PS: Yes, OUtside was intentional.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

mrl0004: Great trip report and photos, congrats! Those fish out of the small streams are just awesome looking, thanks for sharing and I hope the thumb is healing well!

Larry

Larry
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

3 or 4 stiches would help out the thumb in healing. A tetanus shot would also be a good idea if your immunizations aren't up to date. Nice trip into a beautiful area.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks like a very picturesque and overall nice trip, besides the cut and the cold! The libations are good choices, the terrestrial animals played along, the streams are beautiful, and the colors on the fish you did catch are amazing. Even better that you got to share it with a buddy.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...