The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default True Survivors - Southern Appalachian Native Char (Pic Heavy)

***EDIT*** Ny original post was not meant to be misleading, so I want to clarify something. The brook trout in this stream are not 100% Southern strain, they are of mixed origin. Their ancestors survived the logging era, but Northerns were stocked in this area many years ago, and the natives and stockers have since intermixed. They are still true survivors, and have Southern strain blood, although it's mixed with some Northern.

Unfortunately, due to our ancestor's rampant abuse of the forest and other natural resources, Southern Appalachian brook trout were extirpated from many of our streams many years ago. Fortunately, there are still plenty of streams in Southern Appalachia where, due to a strong will to live and superb survival instincts, brook trout are still thriving and doing quite well. I fished one of those streams today.

The leaves are just now starting to turn.

Click the image to open in full size.

Technically not the Smoky Mountains, but you get the idea of why they are called the Smokies.

I arrived at the stream and this little brook was more than willing to take my offering on my second cast.

High gradient stream, I am standing eye level with the hole I am fishing.

Brook trout habitat.

I guess you would had to have been there, but here's a funny story. I am crouched behind this rock using it for cover...

...while fishing this beautiful little pool...

...I see movement out of the corner of my eye and jump back screaming a few dirty words, I am thinking rattlesnake. It turns out to be a chipmunk hopping across the stream. Before I could even reach for the camera, little Alvin was long gone into the bush. I breathed a sigh of relief, laughed and fished on.

Am I the only one that has trouble from time to time getting fish to pose?

Beautiful view, I think I'll take a little break here and enjoy the scenery.

All rested up and ready to catch more brooks.

About halfway through the day, I had another interesting encounter with the local wildlife. I had the feeling I was being watched. I start looking around, I am thinking there must be a bear watching me. I keep looking and suddenly I make eye contact with a red squirrel about ten feet away. We stare at each other for a few seconds and just as I reach for my camera, he takes off. He was pretty, squirrels around my house are gray, I rarely see a red one.

I had fun and caught some beautiful little fish. There is just something special to me about fishing for native brook trout. I can't explain it, but I know many of you know exactly what I mean.

It was getting cloudy on the drive home. I am glad I made it back before any storms kicked up.

Last edited by possessed; 09-30-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: True Survivors - Southern Appalachian Native Char (Pic Heavy)

beautiful brookies for sure, some of my "trophy" fish were no more than 8" like those, there's just so much spunk in those little fellas
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Enjoyed the pics. I was doing the very same thing this past weekend, probably very near you. Although my catching wasn't as good as yours. The 13th pic, is probably about as beautiful as a brookie can get. I saw this on SEFFF too, great stuff man.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Just as beautiful as only brookies can be! Great little stream.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I like the gaping mouth shot

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Looked like a great day to be fishing
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Reminds me of where I live,same type of conditions,the fog that is.
Also some Beaut Little Fish.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Enjoyed your pictures! Great looking little stream and yes, native brookies are always a trophy to me as well! Beautiful country there! Congrats on a good day on the river!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great photo/story! I miss east Tennessee!
Gary
Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Great pics and story i got to get back at it but off to do some hunting next week maybe a little fishing to while i'm off...