The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's your preferred trout technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed View Post
I fish the GSMNP a fair amount. It really depends on where you are going. There are some fairly diverse streams there, big and small, heavily pressured and not, etc.

If you want to tell me where you are going, I may be able to help. By no means have I fished the entire park, but I have camped and fished in a lot of areas there. PM me if you prefer, I may or may not be able to help.
I'll be on the Tennessee side. I was planning on stopping by a local shop. I'll be fishing either the West Prong of the Little Pigeon or the Little River.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

That's one stream I have never fished. I am sure the local shop will be able to help you out. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed this thread. Technique? I can't help you there, but I was in your shoes 2 months ago and I stopped by Little River Outfitters fly shop in Townsend, TN and got some good info. Stop in and buy some stuff (flies, etc.) and tell them what you want to catch and they should send you somewhere suitable and give you some tips. I am not putting in a plug for them, just sharing what I did, rookie to rookie.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

If there is a local fly shop don't just call them and ask for advice - be sure to visit and buy a couple flies(at least), or more if you can afford it. It is easy to find cheaper flies online - but they don't come with the great advice and local knowledge. Local fly shops are an irreplaceable resource. Also it is nice to visit the shop on your way back home and tell them how you did and what worked for you.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

post deleted

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Start with a small Wooly Bugger in Black while figuring out what might be hatching, etc. From that go where the stream and fish leads you. Be aware that some fly shops sell "flies," and will put more emphasis on selling flies rather than you catching fish!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

My preferred technique for all fish is on top of the water or as close to it as I can get. I love to watch the bite. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible, and nymphing is a very effective method for trout.

But if you're new to it, I'd recommend you try dries, emergers and wets in that order, as they are easier to handle casting and are fun to watch. You will also be able to more easily see the effects of current on the line, and what it is doing to the dry fly or emerger on the end of it.

Last edited by wjc; 10-10-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added profile
Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

For a Newbie I would recommend a dry fly. A #14 black ant with no wing and in fur rather than foam would be a good choice.
With Dry fly fishing you can see everything going on. You may get a few strikes that you don't hook but that will at least give you some action. The nymphs are actually a little more difficult if they are done correctly and with a streamer you have to impart motion in many situations- something else to learn.
Other good flies: #16 Adams. #16 or #14 Elk Hair Caddis, get some in tan and some dark.
An Emerger pattern is often very good- it is sort of a floating nymph. and also something a little odd- maybe an orange head Stimulator.
Stalk your prey. Don't slosh around wading and let the line drift past your target and then carefully pick it up- don't rip the line off the water.
Always assume there are trout milling around in various directions and can see you- use boulders, turbulent water currents, etc to hide your position. You are HUNTING trout.
And be persistent. Everyone screws up a cast now and then and there is always the story of the new guy that makes a bad cast but hooks a really good fish. Spend a full day on the trout and keep at it. Let the percentages work for you. I've caught trout under really "wrong" times- the line dangling downstream with a fly while I am fumbling through my vest, or just when I am ready to make a back cast I get a strike. Persist!!
Tell it how it goes.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Sorry been on vacation last week but just saw this post hope i'm not to late but if you fish a Pheasant Tail nymph you will catch fish there now if you fish a dry fly try an October Caddis,Elk Hair Caddis or my favorite Orange Stimulator. hope this helps
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to everyone who posted. I ended up fishing the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon River with a couple other guys( who were using spinning tackle). I only ended up catching one small rainbow on an Elk Hair Caddis/ Tellico set up. I missed 2 others, all were hitting the dry fly. Thought I would share some photos of my day on the river.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]