The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: NY King Salmon!

Nice fish Joe, are you working that with any weight? I'm brand new to salmon fishing, so where in the water column do you want an egg pattern to be? Are you working it under an indicator? I assume there is an FAQ for this...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

NY Kings, they're so close to me and yet so far away. I have to find a way to get up there this season. Congrats on a nice fish!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 PM

joescarlett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Nice fish Joe, are you working that with any weight? I'm brand new to salmon fishing, so where in the water column do you want an egg pattern to be? Are you working it under an indicator? I assume there is an FAQ for this...
I usually like it on bottom. What im trying to do is get the fly in front of their faces so they strike on reaction. Im usually using 2 or 3 split shots. It depends on depth/speed of water

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescarlett View Post
My rod of choice for salmon is the Cabelas Three-Forks 8wt rod(9ft)the 2piece. For 50 bucks it handles huge salmon, you can bend the mess out of it, and if something happens to it(which usually does salmon fishing) your only out $50. I think cabelas has insurance on the rods anyway.

For leader, i just use 20lb flourocarbon. I measure out the length of the rod and cut it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM

joescarlett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Thanks for the info.
Anytime man!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

How far up the river were you? The reason I ask it that I've heard the salmon stop eating the farther they get up river. I don't know if that is or is not true. I figure you can get steelhead any place on the Salmon River but what about Salmon? Do you need to be right at the mouth of the river or is farther upstream okay? Thanks.
How were the crowds?