The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default First Brown, plus a Tiger? Goose lake, WA

I finally got a brown trout. Spent the weekend up in the Gifford Pinchot national forest, hitting a few of the lakes. Unfortunately i forgot my camera so the photographic proof is missing.

I pulled a 16" Brown out of Goose lake.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty little lake. Lots of bank and gear fishermen. We had my cousin 13 year old daughter with us using wedding tackle and a worm. Very productive for her. My cousin and i using fly gear didnt have much luck beyond my one. I was very exciting catch though. The water is very clear so we were able to do a lot of sight fishing. I saw the fish cruising the area and made a decent cast. The trout then proceeding to stalk the fly, circling twice before striking. Very exciting.

My other cousin, a gear fisherman, the day before caught what we think is a tiger trout.

Click the image to open in full size.

The odd thing is we dont think that the lake was stocked with tigers....
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First Brown, plus a Tiger? Goose lake, WA

I take your word, beautiful lake.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Vans,beautiful Fishing Spot,also it's definately a Tiger Trout.
Having read previously about Tiger Trout I went searching through The Trout & Salmon Handbook,A guide to Wild Trout by Robin Ade where it tells on page75 Tiger Trout are a hybrid between Brook & Brown Trout,also it says they can occur in the wild.
Brian.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Very idyllic lake, and beautiful tiger! I love the way they look.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: Great trip report and photos! Congrats on your first Brown trout and the great looking tiger trout! I've yet to land a tiger trout!

Larry

Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies guys. It was a lot of fun. Frankly,i was worried my lake technique wasnt going to get the job done. Thankfully i got the stench of skunk off.