The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM

fly n00b is on a distinguished road
Default trout tournament

ok i live in Alabama were its very warm and at one of the state parks they stock thier stream with rainbow trout, once a year, for a tournament. this time of the year the water temp. is probably in the high 70's. thier will be many people fishing with bait and tackle (i plan to use my fly rod). so i was wondering if anyone knew any good tactices to catch these fish.
much thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 06:34 AM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: trout tournament

since they are just stocked try wooly buggers or muddlers or something bright and/or flashy. sometimes a good "plunk" of a beadhead nymph will draw their attention like the hatchery food. if the water is cold the bead head in their face will get them. the muddler stripped on top [size 10 or 12] works well, they just got to chase it. good luck
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly,

Trout don't like water that warm. Look for cooler water. Even a few degrees cooler will make a difference. Fish shady areas. Find moving water that will have more oxygen. These trout will be use to eating pellets and tan to brown flies should work the best. I think they will also respond to a Colorado spinner fished weightless. If you catch one fish there will be others in the same area. So fish out that location thoroughly.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Try a piece of dry dog food on a size 10 hook. Just kidding!

Like Franks said, the water temp will play havic on those trout. Trout need colder water. I would expect that they will move very quickly into the shaded areas of the stream when there are deep fast runs. Stay shaded, stay deep if the water is in the 70's. Also fish any cut banks hard. Depending on how long those fish are in the river before the malay begins, will depend on how well they get adapted to the food source of the river. I would stick to small woolybugger, lots of flash, and other attractor patterns. Any info you can find out before line when and where they are going to stock it will work to your benefit.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Find or tie a nymph pattern that most closely resembles purina trout chow pellets. A thick fuzzy hare's ear sans tail might do the trick.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:53 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Stick with the cold zone tips...for a fly I wold go with a "bomber" tied in brown with yellow calf tail appendages front and back. This is the salmon Fly... made from deer hair. Cast it to holding areas and skitter it along the service...make a commotion. Another trick is to "dap" fish it on ashort line to stockers. That's casting a short line flick....and reflick it repeatedly....all around the holding area. Stockers often mistake this "shower" of chunks as a feeding frenzy of tossed pellets. Takes practice but fools alot of 'em.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 PM

fly n00b is on a distinguished road

the tournament was not a sucess. the bank was packed with people and thier was no room to cast (you couldn't wade either). also the fish were very dumb you could have thrown a plain hook and catch something. but thank you for the tips anyway.
ps: thier was no fast water
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road

aw man that sucks, did you catch any at all?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. Do you have access to go back to where it was held at and fish? If so, I'd back without all those people and see if you can pick up the straglers left behind.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*