The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default Awesome Weekend! - Beaver's Bend (Broken Bow, OK)

Well, this past weekend was incredible for me and a couple friends! We left OKC at 4:30am Friday morning and were on the water by 8:30am. It's right at 4 hours for us to get there (SE Corner) from OKC. Weather was awesome. Bluebird day, 70 degrees. We drove strait to the lost creek area and began working from the downstream end back to the top. I decided to leave my TFO in the car and use my $12 4wt Riverbeast ebay special with Allen Alpha 3/4. I had tied a bunch of Olive Hare's Ears and figured I would start with those.

We started hooking up instantly. First hole, first cast, bam, fish on. I started getting really excited. I knew this was gonna be a great day! Aaaaaaand it was. We went on to fish up Lost Creek and by the time I got halfway to the top I had brought over 20 to the net! They were slammin Olive Hare's Ears like crazy.

Small section of Lost Creek toward the end where we started. I pulled over 8 fish out of the pocket just right of the fast water in the center of the picture in a matter of 15 minutes.

Click the image to open in full size.

May not be the biggest thing in the world but still a blast!

Little nicer one.

Another nicer fish just after I set him back in the water. So pretty. He finally figured out the right direction to swim

I found this guy in a small pool and fished it hard hoping to pull him out and it paid off!

Really fun fishing up against these bluffs. We had them all to ourselves! Where we are standing its about 9in deep and up next to the bluffs its around 5 to 6ft deep. A lot of fun!

We needed to leave around 2pm on Saturday, but we decided to give it 15 more minutes and I'm glad we did! Josh pulled this guy out of Lost Creek back by the car on a #20 cream zebra midge! (17" which as far as I know is a very nice fish for down there. Heck, that's a nice fish in my book period!)

This is Evening Hole Saturday morning. I always feel like I'm not in Oklahoma when I'm down here.

I decided to keep a fish count and I ended up with:

Friday - 53
1/2 Saturday - 25

All in all we had a blast! It was awesome weather and great fishing. Hope you enjoy reading about it!

-Jason
Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Awesome Weekend! - Beaver's Bend (Broken Bow, OK)

I lived there for 10 years and agree there is nothing close to Broken Bow in the rest of the state for natural beauty (nothing close to the crime rate either). Have you fished at re-regulation dam yet? It's a good place to pick up a few browns. There is a creek up in the mountains that runs cold enough to support browns year round, always considered throwing a few in but thought better of it and left it in its natural state. There are many things found in the SE part of the state that will be nowhere else.

Congratulations on the excellent trip.

Dave
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sounds like a great trip! There's a spot I have fished that has bluffs similar to that and I love it. The totals aren't too shabby either!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report and fish, congrats!

Larry

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I know that place, it's a 3.5-4 hour drive for me to get their. Went back in the beginning of September and had a good day. Thats some good numbers on your fish count. Very nice place but can be tough at times.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Great report on a great spot.

Its changed quite a bit in the 4+ years since I've fished it. Glad to see its thriving, despite some wipeout floods.

Thanks!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Ya, it has really changed a ton for what it looked like 4 years ago. Some pretty impressive stuff they have done. I heard they won awards for the work they did and then the biologist that played a big role left. I hope the next guys keeps the place up to par! I love going down there. It relatively close and such a nice place to get away to. Can be crowded at times and/or hard to fish, but its still a great spot year around.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Great report and photos! Thanks for sharing
Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jason,

That was GREAT, an the big one is a big one no matter where you fish! Looks like that fish has been there a while by the color and condition. very nice and I'm so glad to hear that you had a bang up time of it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

That's beautiful place. I hope to head out west some day.