The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Headed North, ID, MT, WY...

South Fork of the Boise, below Anderson dam. Wild rainbows and Bull trout.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Cochise, slow down man! Where are you? If you are coming up I-15 and looking for Brown trout love you have to stop on the Big Hole. I am reluctant to give up my exact hole, but I can put you in an area...the big boys should be in there right about now. If you haven't made it North of Melrose yet, send me a PM.

Once you get to Missoula, let me know. If it where over the weekend I might be able to take you somewhere...might. Otherwise, in general the Browns are moving toward, but not into, the tribs -- as of last I heard. The Bitterroot is fishing, it can get technical this time of year, multiple hatches and spinner falls, sippers on flat water...good fun! Also the Clark Fork has begun to fish...finally! Big rainbows on dries...if you're into that.

Let me know where you are!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

thanks guys it's all very excellent. I spent yesterday on rock creek and the clark fork.

Dean I will be fishing the big hole This weekend. I typically fish near divide And wise river But I am thinking I will fish the lower section. Thank you very much for the information. I used to float from jerry creek bridge to dewey.

let me know if you have any time to get on the river I have been moving like a madman.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

How was Rock Crick and the Clark, which part of the Clark Fk did you hit? Nice day for streamer fishing. No way can I get away this weekend for the BH...I like the Melrose area...I'll PM a nice spot that fills up with fish this time of year. Can't guarantee they are there yet...
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Well I made it back, safe and sound from a whirlwind tour of the north country.

I did not fish in Idaho as I normally do but instead chose to spend all of my fishing time in MT, barring my last day, I was near the Miracle Mile so I figured, when in Rome.

Thanks for the good information guys I had an incredible trip!! I was snobbishly looking for big fish so I did not spend a lot of time on small fish waters. I never landed any real hogs but did have some excellent fishing for fish over 16".

Here are a few vanity shots with some cool scenery plugged in for balance.

If you see this truck, stop and fish.
Click the image to open in full size.
Not the epic monster I was seeking..but it deserved a pic.
More of these than you can shake a stick at.
I know God was fishing with me.
Staples!
Another state, another river!

What a time, I fished by myself this entire trip and enjoyed it immensely. I hope you all are making it out to the river this fall, it is stunning!!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Killer Pictures! And a double rainbow no less.
Fred
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Those were some beautiful fish. I bet you had a blast. I really need to convince the wife to move West.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Great fishing, man! Is that Scotty Brown bridge?

Am I just projecting or did you spend some time on the Blackfoot? Nice, nice brownies. I am very jealous of the solo fishing adventure...I haven't had the opportunity to that in a few years.

No fair catching fish without tails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
shoot...tried to add that last photo of the rainbow w/o a tail...

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

One more question...how do you take your photos? Just noticed that they are not the arm-length shots of most self-portrait fish photos...do you have one of those gorilla-pod things or just balance on a rock? They look good.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you had a great trip cochise! Did you do the campground thing? And I can see the full tail on that bow, look closely. milt.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks guys all I can think about is going back.

All of the pictures are taken from rock, log or bank.

I stayed in the bed of my pickup. I built a platform bed and have it set up for cooking, storage and sleeping. I normally take my camper but being by myself it was great for traveling not having the camper on.