The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Headed North, ID, MT, WY... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/193903-headed-north-id-mt-wy.html)

cochise 10-13-2011 02:15 PM

Headed North, ID, MT, WY...

Hey, I am heading out on a North loop. I have a bit of time and I am heading for Montana via Idaho for some brown love.

If any of ya'll have any spots that deserve my attention it would be greatly appreciated. I dont keep fish and I never tell a spot that was told to me.

Any upland bird hunting info would be awesome as well. I have nothing set in stone but plan on hitting Henry's up to Missoula over to Shelby and back down...Might hit the Bob if I have the time to get there.

If any of you have time and want to drag me along on a trip that would be awesome as well. I can row and just about anything else to help.

I will have my float tube, 3-10 wts, heavy duty 4 wheel drive and my gumption.

Thanks in advance!

rockriver 10-13-2011 02:57 PM

Re: Headed North, ID, MT, WY...

Sounds like a fantastic trip.

bamaboy 10-13-2011 03:20 PM

Sounds like a fun trip. When are you leaving and for how long?

cochise 10-13-2011 04:58 PM

I am on the road right now headed up through utah
I'll be up here for a week to 10 days

fyshstykr 10-13-2011 07:48 PM

Hey man swing by my place on the way, I'm about 40 miles south of the Idaho border on I-15.:) I'd be happy to share some info.

cochise 10-14-2011 07:39 AM

I shot right on by you in the middle of the night thank you though. I am in island park looking for a fishing plan today

fredaevans 10-14-2011 09:16 AM

Being your going to be in Missoula, turn south towards Hamilton and spend some time on the Bitterroot. With the low water conditions (most streams) at most all you'll need is a 5wt rod.

cochise 10-14-2011 10:31 AM

thanks fred I'm about 150 miles out ofmissoula right now

I brought a couple of big rod case I can run into some walleyes or northerns

bobafett 10-14-2011 11:07 AM

You should try out Rock Creek if you are in the Mizzoula Area...i was up there about 2 weeks ago. The big browns hadn't really made a run, but there were tons of 12-14 inchers. and some really nice cutts...no bull trout for me, but they are there. In the island park area, you may want to try coffepot rapids area. I hear its starting to get hot again. and then the Henry's lake outlet and lake itself. If you feel up to a Yellowstone trip, there is a SW access from idaho to the Bechler and Boundary Creek...huge fish, very picky, beautiful country, and its about to close for the year. Good luck to ya.

Oh yeah, and the teton is pretty hot right now in the driggs, ID area.:thumbup:

edit to add: I just fished the teton for 1 hour before heading in to work...caught a cutty i have been watching/fishing to for 3 days...18 inches, 2+ lbs on a mahogony spinner...also saw some really small mayflies, maybe quills, or tiny tricos, i don't know my entomology too well, but i'm learning.

fredaevans 10-14-2011 03:16 PM

Good info Bob. And to add one thing vis a vis the Bitterroot..... any fly colour you want as long as it white or a light dunn, small and on the surface.;)