The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Smoky mountain Brookies

Well its been a while folks, but about 3 weeks i returned from a trip to the Smoky mountains. Was a family trip, wife and her parents and brother, so it wasnt pure fishing, however I managed to get out for 2 solid days of hard fishing and made it work. Weather was sketchy, cool and rain everyday. First day when I actually got to fish where I wanted to ( father in law wanted big water so we tried that a couple hours but i was bored and unammused ) So i hopped in the car and set off. last time I was in the smokys was 05, and i got a map that showed a bunch of water closed to brook trout fishing, my new map had these all shown as open now. I headed to the closest one, figuring either the brooks came back or the rainbows snuffed them all out. The creek was small, shallow, CLEAR and technical. Tied on a yellow humpy, let the bamboo do its thing and 1st cast into a pool....

Click the image to open in full size.

First brookie of the smokies. Over the next hour i continued up the stream catching fish per pool and it was so good i went back early the next day. started out lower, fished almost up to the head waters, saw 2 bears and caught probably 3 dozen brookies over the course of 5- hours fishing in 2 days. I was very content, now on to more fish pictures, only a few but I cant upload more.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Smoky mountain Brookies

That almost looked familiar, does that creek name start with an 'A'? beautiful, just beautiful!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I dont think so but it might because its not named on the map i have. it starts with a Waterfall though, outside of Gatlinburg but in the national park.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful color on those brookies! Looks like a beautiful place!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing these wonderful pics makes me sad thinking about how much time I spent goofing off in that area before I started fly fishing.

Dave
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Pretty little Fish,from my experience Brookies really belt the Flies.
Brian.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Yup, some of the little bitty guys came completely out of the water when they would hit the fly.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Those brookies' colors are awesome! Great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Seeing these wonderful pics makes me sad thinking about how much time I spent goofing off in that area before I started fly fishing.

Dave
I'll second that emotion! Nice fish. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Very nice and some beautiful brooks.