The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Tenkara What???

I read in Gun & Garden recently about a "New" way to fly fish called tenkara and it is from Japan. It isn't dapping. You use a long rod 10-12' , only a line- 10-12', no reel, and cast upstream and follow the drift.
Is this really anything "New". On little tiny creeks I've done that for years, sort of lob cast upstream, let the line drift all the way down stream so as not to spook the fish, and then lob it up again.
Am I missing something???
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara What???

Not really new...I've already seen some posts and threads about it on the forum...anyway it looks interesting
Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tenkara is far from new. It is so old it's even older than I am and I cut one and blew dust! Actually It's so old they are not even sure how it got to be called Tenkara. Tenkara may have come from words meaning "from the sky" but may also have come from the name of a fish. It may actually have been done for almost 3000 years, so the term "New" only applies in 'geological time' terms. By the way, the Tenkara rod is without a reel and pretty long. There is a group or maybe they make them, I don't remember but it's Tenkara USA. Google it and you can get some more information than what I remember.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to every thing DD justed posted.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM

CM_Stewart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
sort of lob cast upstream, let the line drift all the way down stream so as not to spook the fish, and then lob it up again.
Am I missing something???
What you're missing, and what is new (at least new to the US) is that the rod is specifically designed to cast a very light line - lighter than any fly line and basically equivalent to a 15' leader. With a tenkara rod and line, you don't "lob" it upstream, you cast just like you cast a fly line. Just as accurate, just as tight a loop.

The biggest difference is that with the long rod and light line, you can keep virtually all the line off the water (and still fish 20' away). You don't have to worry much about conflicting currents because the line isn't on the water. Getting a drag free drift is easy, and you never have to worry about "lining" fish.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about flyfishing; 3yrs ago when I started I had never heard of "high stick nymphing" or speycasting, and now Tenkara! This is great