The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default I went fishin today TR

I got to the stream around 11am. It was cold up in the hills last night, so I wanted to give the stream a little time to warm up. I knew the water would be a bit chilly and I packed the waders for the first time since April. I absolutely hate wearing waders and wet wade as much of the year as possible, or as much of the year as I can stand it.

I pulled over to gear up and a bear hunter stopped and chatted for a moment. I soon realized the hills were swarming with bear hunters and bear dogs. That made me happy. I have nothing against bears, but this particular area has a huge bear population and they have, for the most part, lost their fear of humans. In my personal opinion, the bear population here could use a bit of thinning out. Also, the remaining bears could stand to get a little fear of humans put into them. Then again, the bears were there long before we decided to invade their home to camp, fish, hike, hunt, etc. Who am I to judge?

I geared up and started fishing around the middle part of the stream. This particular section usually does well for me, so that's why I decided to start here rather than start lower and work my way up to this point.

The rainbows were eager to eat, fattening up for the rapidly approaching winter. I think they were also happy to have some higher water levels that yesterday's rain so generously provided.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not sure if I caught more leaves or more trout. Both the trout and the leaves were hitting the nymph pretty good. I fished a dry/dropper all day. I did catch and few trout and at least two tree limbs on the dry.

A few more rainbows.

I was starting to wonder where the browns were. This was the only one I caught today. I usually catch more of them on this stream.

I fished on up to where I normally stop and decided to drive down the road and mess around a bit in the lower section. I actually caught a bunch of fish down there, but most were this size.

It was a fairly good day. I caught a few decent sized fish, at least for this small Southern Appalachian stream they were decent sized......it was good day on the stream.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went fishin today TR

I am always in awe of the beautiful waters so many of our members are able to fish. We are indeed blessed as a group to be able to pursue our hobby in such beautiful places.

Thanks for the great pics Possessed.

Dave
Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

southwestangler is on a distinguished road

Good job! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

"Then again, the bears were there long before we decided to invade their home to camp, fish, hike, hunt, etc. Who am I to judge?"

My cousin wouldn't hesitate to judge; mauled by a black bear when he was 16, he'd agree with you as would I that some fear of man is a healthy thing for us and the bears!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great report!
nice trout and nice water

casey

ARFE
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful! I almost felt the humidity on my face as I looked at the pictures. The stream and the fish could pass as identical to the small streams and trout I fished as a kid in Western Washington. Such gems! Thanks!!