The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Had a pee-in-your-waders day yesterday!

You know the kind. The fishin' is so good you hate to take the time to get out, find a bush and pull down your waders to take a pee.
This is what happened. I got to the tailwater at noon and headed to my favorite spot. No one was there! Not only that, but trout were rising everywhere and a BWO hatch was on! (It gets better!)
The first fly I put on, a #20 parachute, worked! When was the last time TH
AT happened?
The hatch continued for 6 hours! (THAT has never happened!) I landed 19, and except for 4, all were between 16 and 18 inches! I lost at least another 12 (had to use 6x tippet to get it through the hook eyes), most on head shaking jumps, including one pig that I estimated at 24-26 inches. I hooked him when I decided to try a brown wooly bugger on the pod of huge suspended rainbows I saw at the head of a pool. He hit the first fly I tried on the fourth cast! (When was the last time THAT happened?) Anyway, it was the only brown wooly bugger I had and he broke off my 4X tippet in the weeds, so back to the dries.
It was an awesome day and makes up for the string of miserable trips I have become accustomed too during this summer of unprecedented runoff. Everything eventually averages out if you live long enough.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Had a pee-in-your-waders day yesterday!

Sounds like one of those great days!!! I love it when you catch fish after fish. Makes up for those days when you get skunked!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds awsome! But you didn't pee in your waders did you? You've gotta love days like that, they don't happen everyday.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Sounds awsome! But you didn't pee in your waders did you? You've gotta love days like that, they don't happen everyday.
Glad you asked first Dan. I was afraid to.
I've noticed that fishing is alot like playing golf. You could shank 100 balls and right when you're about to quit you ding one just right and your hooked all over again.
Congrats on an awesome day. A 6 hour hatch is definately something I've never seen!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I think thats a pretty fair comparison except even when I have a bad day fishing I go home happy. Can't say the same for golf. Matter of fact anyone want to buy a set of Nike Irons? Wouldn't mind having a cash reserve in case BigSky keeps thinning that herd.......
Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I once met a fella at a campsite on a famous NY river who held nothing back in telling me he had a poop in his waders day...not because the fishing was so good, but because he didnt want to give up his spot...

apparently he just lifted it out at the end of the day and went on about his business...

Bear in mind this was at a campsite - Classy guy

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

The air would be full of bugs and fish would be rising everywhere. Then I would notice the rises had slowed and just about that time the air would become full of bugs again. That went on for 6 hours! Actually, when there were fewer bugs on the water was the easiest time to catch fish. No competition I would guess. Another thing I noticed was they were in such a frenzy they didn't much mind a line going over them or even a sloppy cast now and then.
You are correct. A good day on the river is any day you can spend there. The thing about a long string of those skunk days is you begin to wonder if the increasing pressure, lack of funding, invasive species, etc. has finally changed "flyfishing" to "fly casting"!
I took a lady flyfishing awhile ago. She loved to fly fish, but when she began catching fish, she quit. She said it was too easy and was sad about hurting the fish. Seems she liked the casting part and the scenery but actually didn't enjoy "torturing" fish! I think there may be a large number of beginners who don't have the same viewpoint as I. To me, the basic purpose of fly fishing is to catch fish. Of course that's why I don't use a spinning rod right?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on an awesome day on the water and thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's a long hatchyou were on the water at the right time for a great fishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I've noticed that fishing is alot like playing golf
except golf players never eat balls
Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Wow that's a long hatchyou were on the water at the right time for a great fishing.

except golf players never eat balls
No, but I've swallowed a few bugs during a hatch