The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Question A strange day out

I had to make the drive from Buffalo to Cleveland last night to meet up with my fiancee for morale support, as she was having a job interview there (well, for now here). On the way I figured I'd stop by one of the spots I fish near the Cattaraugus Creek, on one of the smaller creeks that flows into it. With all the rain we've been getting, I was expecting high and chocolatey and that's exactly what I received. The visibility in the water was in the zero-to-less range so i wasn't expecting much. I have yet to have that pee-in-your-pants day BigDog was talking about, but this venture was more just a scouting trip and a way to break up my drive. I tied a #6 black bugger with an orange estaz egg on the nose, going the big silhouette route, on the end of a polyleader to deal with the high flow. Granted, I'm flying pretty blind as I'm quite new and have yet to land a steelhead on a fly rod, or any coldwater species for that matter.... ANYWAY, I was working the creek pretty fast, just trying to learn the area more than anything else.

My only catch was a snag and an otter out of the corner of my eye, but for some reason I got a boost of confidence from the trip alone. Rather than being bummed I got skunked, I came out realizing that the conditions I was fishing were far less than ideal. I also felt like I had been doing everything right, which is a brand new sensation for me with fly fishing. Besides getting my truck stuck on the way out (there's still water in my passenger side door panels I believe...), the trip felt like I had landed a monster despite appearing for any onlookers to be a total disaster. Anyone have one of these kind of days?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A strange day out

Nope never

I have a white stripe running up my back now from the skunking I took this morning. But even on bad days there is something positive to learn if you pay attention.

You are staying focused, that's the main thing.

Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

A few down days help to brighten the shine on the good days.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I've said this before, but if catching the biggest trout in the stream is a 10/10 day, hiking along the stream and observing the wildlife, conditions, bugs, and trout but not catching anything is an 8/10 day. Spotting an otter would easily put it into 9/10 range.

Glad you had a good day on the water!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I bet if you had hooked that otter, he would have put up an awesome fight.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

wheres that last minute catfish when you need it AJ the trout have been stocked at otter creek, im going to check it out tomarrow.
mike
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'd say the day of swinging paid off with a little pressure at the end of my swing today:
Click the image to open in full size.
Now I just need to figure out how to take my own fish photos, as I did not want to go and kill my first fly-caught steelhead with a photo session!
I like this photo best:
Click the image to open in full size.
The area in the second photo is a small reservoir that runs into the creek. The fish took the fly in the creek proper and I swung it into the reservoir to land it. My reward for not battering the fish on the rocks for a picture was it swimming off strongly immediately after I removed the hook from the corner of its mouth! And to think this was from 20 minutes of casting across the street from class before I had to hold office hours...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish AJ...a strange day... in?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

AJ: We all get skunked once in awhile, but I certainly can understand when the water visibility is that bad. Just getting out on the water and enjoying the outdoors and the animals is a reward in itself. Congrats again on the great looking steelie!

Larry