The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Cool First Bow's of the Season.

Well, after a summer of catching sunfish and learning casting I put that to the test today, last night I got the news my creek was stocked for the winter C&R season, so I had to check it out after work. After trying a few top water flies with no luck I decided to try a small brown fuzzy thing with a tail. I figured these are hatchery fish and they are use to eating pellets. the first hit of the fly on the water was success so I proceeded to have alot of fun in the 40 minutes of daylight I had left. so once I get some waders this will be much more fun and warmer.. heres the pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

mike
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Bow's of the Season.

Nice fish Mike! What size tippet are you using there? It looks pretty big, but those fish don't seem to mind!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

its a 10lb taper, think 2x that was a fresh leader, I have the 2x stuff from bass season, so if they get more finiky ill go smaller. nicest fish I have caught all year. all together I landed 7 about that size. and 2 others managed to self release.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mike I left you a tip on your blog,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

i noticed, thanks. still getting the light gear figured out, but theres bass and catfish in the creek too so I favor a bit heavy. I will say having not caught a trout in years I forgot how much they fight, also forgot how slippery haha. I have been fishing top water all summer so going subserface is new, but seems the only way these trout are feeding right now.
mike
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Pretty cool that those stockers didn't seem to mind the 2x tippet.

Normally, I fish a 5x as an all around size, dropping down to a 7x in the winter and up to a 3x in the summer for pellet fed bruisers.

Great job, and that fly looks like a great pellet imitation.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM

cpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to all

Those are nice fish. It's great that you get a variety of species in the same water. Do any of the coldwater trout survive the summer?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Congrats on the nice looking trout!

Larry

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
Those are nice fish. It's great that you get a variety of species in the same water. Do any of the coldwater trout survive the summer?
this creek in the park feeds into the ohio river, so the tail water 4 miles you never know what youll catch,, from hybrid striper to sauger.. rock bass, small and large mouths. catfish also. lots of gills and redears. the trout right know will be under a c&r season till march and they plan to stock again in spring. but by june the water gets to hot for them to live.. some may hold up in springs but the majority die off. I plan to be doing some photo work for the park manager wednesday on the creek, and hope to see more trout on my line also.

I now know the trout addiction on the fly,, such a fun fighter.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM

gjamison is on a distinguished road

there u go nice fish.....