The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you measure success?

Looks like you had a great trip to the South Holsten thats a greta tailwater river some big browns in there to.I have fished it before and done pretty well on BWOs and streamers.That fly looked like a sulpher dun to me but i could be wrong.The other bug was a stonefly nymph.The pics were great and the report .
Old 10-26-2011, 11:02 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by possessed View Post
Cool report even if the fishing was a bit slow.

Success can be a weird thing. I always enjoy fishing, regardless of how many I catch. I will not lie, I do get caught up on the numbers thing. For me, I like to catch at least 30 fish and usually fish until I do, unless it's a really unusually slow day and I know I will never hit that number. If I don't catch 30, I am disappointed, I know I shouldn't be, but I am.
What are you fishing for, bluegill? I've seldom had 30 trout days, probably only a hanful of times. Even if I'm counting numbers I count 5-10 as a pretty successful outing. Sounds like a fish story to me LOL! Just kidding, but I'm jealous if your hooking up with 30 trout a day on a regular basis.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

looks like a nice trip.

I measure success anytime I can get out the door with my fly rod instead of having to complete the honeydo list.

d
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I think the pictures tell whether the trip was successful or not but it looks like a great trip to me! Sometimes the fish are begging to be caught and sometimes you need a PhD to even get one to hit. Cabela's I think had an ad that said "When was the last time you caught so many fish your arms hurt?" My answer is simple...never! Success is in the eyes of the angler. To me, each experience on the river is a success in its own way. New experiences (..rising water!)friends and memories made. Sometimes you even catch a fish or two! I am not a large fish master or my fishing is not quantity controlled. Nor am I a large antler collector when I hunt but over the years I have learned that if you go to enjoy the experience and catch a fish or two then the trip was successful. I simply enjoy fishing for a while and then finding a place to sit and get out my thermos of coffee and a candy bar and just enjoy the view! Congrats on a good day on the river!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)