The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Steelhead Pics

Hey
How do you post pics? I've got a few I'd like to share...Great Lakes Steelies!

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Hey
How do you post pics? I've got a few I'd like to share...Great Lakes Steelies!

King Joe, Outa Here!
I'd love to see them! Here you go:

A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Took a solo trip out before class today to some new water. Caught two, failed on the hook set on a third, and made it to my 11 oclock on time. First fish came twenty minutes after sunrise, and showed me that I need to find a way to take better photos of my own fish:
Click the image to open in full size.
Fifteen minutes later, a smaller but feistier fish followed. I had my gopro up on a tripod and caught the cast, hook set, most the fight, and some good release footage. Here's a still I snagged from the gopro:
Of course, ended the day on a missed opportunity but overall, not bad for a pre-class outing. Beautiful surroundings and some light snow to make it feel like I was actually steelheading. And to remind me how much I need to find my gloves before it gets any colder.

MVP award for the day, however, goes to the drag on the new Allen Kraken reel, paired with my Olympic 12' 5wt spey. The smooth start-up is more than capable of dealing with the characteristic bursts of fresh steelhead, and the large arbor helps with picking up line quickly after these runs. And it looks awesome:
stl_geoff, jaybo41, ben664 and 2 others like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Nice looking fish AJ ! Like the beefy one your holding ! Sometimes those quicky trips workout real well! Looks like it wasnt brutally cold either.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

It was only in the lower 30s so it wasn't too bad, the buff and full baseball hat is enough to keep warmth in, and the shirt is one of the Simms Coldweather shirts, which is fleece-lined. They're killer. Even in the 40s sometimes I find myself rolling up my sleeves.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Took a solo trip out before class today to some new water. Caught two, failed on the hook set on a third, and made it to my 11 oclock on time. First fish came twenty minutes after sunrise, and showed me that I need to find a way to take better photos of my own fish:
Fifteen minutes later, a smaller but feistier fish followed. I had my gopro up on a tripod and caught the cast, hook set, most the fight, and some good release footage. Here's a still I snagged from the gopro:
Of course, ended the day on a missed opportunity but overall, not bad for a pre-class outing. Beautiful surroundings and some light snow to make it feel like I was actually steelheading. And to remind me how much I need to find my gloves before it gets any colder.

MVP award for the day, however, goes to the drag on the new Allen Kraken reel, paired with my Olympic 12' 5wt spey. The smooth start-up is more than capable of dealing with the characteristic bursts of fresh steelhead, and the large arbor helps with picking up line quickly after these runs. And it looks awesome:
Gator, you have the life man! Out on the water in the mornings for Steel then on to business. To say that I am envious is an understatement! Very nice steel, congrats on that. Great shots. I was going to say the 2nd shot was my favorite, until I saw the last one. Now I am torn. Both are stellar dude! Very nice work, thanks for sharing. This year hasn't afforded me much time on the water, so I am living vicariously through people's contributions on the board and friend's experiences.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I'd love to see them! Here you go:

A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;
Thanks jay

So apparently I have saved my pics as "large" on my camera...and as such, they are too big (kb-wise) to download. I will see if I can re-jig the saves and get them on here.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

How do I attach a picture?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Just a couple i had on my phone from lake Ontario tribs last winter. Nice fish guys! Nice fish Gator! Are those Ny Erie tribs ?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
milt spawn and thorsten like this.

Last edited by bigkais89; 11-29-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM

For you gridiron fans, here's some Thursday Morning Football! A still from the go-pro of one of today's fish. Lost the longest of the day when it dove past my friend who was filming and into a sunken woodpile. However, this fish made up for the lost fish in girth. One of my more successful pre-seminar outings.

Higher quality photos will follow later when they are uploaded by my buddy.