The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree326Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Steelhead Pics

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Nice Ard, when and where was that one?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice fish Ard! I need to get me a pair of those wool fingerless gloves...

And maybe soon, I'll actually catch another steelhead to post on here! Not today though

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

AJ, congrats on the thread idea and on your first Steelie; and congrats to your first also Vans...When it comes to Steelies; big or small, they're all treasures..

Ard, are those Sea Lice on that fin?

Dan
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

No problem on starting the thread, and thanks on the congrats!

Looking forward to seeing more fall and winter chrome!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

On my second trip up to the Salmon River this fall for steelhead, I also landed this baby -Click the image to open in full size.

and this pretty Altantic Salmon (or possibly a brown trout)Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by joebloe; 11-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:25 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
On my second trip up to the Salmon River this fall for steelhead, I also landed this baby -Click the image to open in full size.

and this pretty Altantic SalmonClick the image to open in full size.
nice fish but the "atlantic salmon" is actually a brown
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

a few people weighed in on the Atlantic or Brown ? identification of this fish when I landed it-
which is often confusing - examining the tail, and where the maxillary of the upper jaw falls under the eye identifies this fish as an Atlantic -
we thought it was a tough call on this guy -

Atlantic Salmon Identification

Last edited by joebloe; 11-12-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys are landing some nice fish, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
a few people weighed in on the Atlantic or Brown ? identification of this fish when I landed it-
which is often confusing - examining the tail, and where the maxillary of the upper jaw falls under the eye identifies this fish as an Atlantic -
we thought it was a tough call on this guy -

Atlantic Salmon Identification
I am just going by personal experience as it looks too odd to be a grilse, and this late in the year it's colour is just off IMO, if it was a summer fish it could pass as one but I really must go with a brown. Plus the shape of the head, body, and the spotting going down to the belly, I have just never seen a salmon like that.