The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree326Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Steelhead Pics

Those Erie trib fish sure do have a look about them that is all their own... shiny and bright!

Click the image to open in full size.

The year of the drought, right after the rains came in...

marty mcfly and owegocrick like this.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice fish, Jackster. I love the photo of the pod pushing upstream. I haven't come across any visual pods like that yet this year, but since I've largely redirected toward steelhead lately I hope to have that chance.

Where abouts to venture to from NC to catch those fish?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Mtowner, nice fish! Where abouts are you fishing (what part of the country, I don't need the location of your honey hole )?
My father and I fish a few of the streams between Dunkirk, NY and Erie, PA. Probably some of the same Erie tribs you're fishing.

I usually only get over there 3-4 times per season (between Nov 1 and April 1), so it feels really good when I can land one. I just wish I lived closer! The 3 hour drive from Corning is rough when you've been on the water for 6-7 hours.

I think my favorite time out was my second to last trip. I did horrible, but stood at the stream's edge watching the fish try to run the falls. That was a really cool sight. I've been there many times before and never seen it. None of them made it while I was watching though.

Last edited by mtowner23; 02-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ok, so I wasn't crazy when I thought those banks looked familiar! Let me know when you're headed in to the area, maybe I can meet you out there!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

This was one of two Friday morning. The first one split when I showed it the net. I feel a little sorry for the second one, he had some damage to the left side of his jaw. It didn't seem to slow him down much though. He now has an appointment with my grandmother's oven!

Mike

Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Rainy day fish: Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by gatortransplant; 02-22-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Got out this morning, hooked up with 4 and kept getting broke off on a huge concrete block, finally landed this one right before I had to get on the road.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

My good camera is in the shop after getting a little damp......
so I have a couple weeks to muddle with the old point and shoot.

Fish on the new Allen rod, first day out. I think that's a good sign. Hardy reel went buzz!

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Way to go, Carl! Putting the new Allen through its paces I hope you enjoyed it! In my opinion, it's fighting fish where the Xa really shines, I'd be interested to know if you felt the same?

Some from my day... Not a giant fish but a fun one:
Same fish on the way out:
This is just one of the three caught for the day, but the coloration was nice, and I'm a fan of the release caught in action. The first fish was a tiny, shiny skipper, and the last fish was the biggest of the three, but unfortunately, no photos there, got her back in the water quickly since she was bleeding and had some earlier dings as well. She swam off strong, I hope she survived

Last edited by gatortransplant; 02-27-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Black & White "My Favorite"

Color