Steelhead Pics

gatortransplant

Reaction score
A thread devoted to fall chrome! Let's kick this thing off with a monster, aka my first steelhead caught on a fly rod, a little guy who decided to turn casting practice into landing practice (and also informed me I need to learn how to take my own fish photos...)

This is as far out of the water as I let the fish get, and I still feel bad! Also, a better shot of the giant obnoxious streamer the fish decided to gobble up.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
AJ: Congrats on the great looking steelie! We now have a sticky for forum members to post steelie photos! Thanks again for the great idea!

Larry

Vans

Reaction score
The higher powers requested i repost this here....

Went to the Clackamas river late yesterday morning hoping to catch a steelhead. I was swinging a purple leach and hooked this big boy....

17.5" and a fat 5.5" deep. Really gave my Cabelas 7wt a workout.

General consensus on local forums has it as a big Rainbow trout, from a river that according to info my other half has access to, shouldnt have a resident population of.

It seems that Mrs. Van has other ideas about it. See, she is a fisheries biologist by training and before she moved up into corporate financials she was a senior fisheries person doing salmon, steelhead and trout work that included surveys and habitat restoration. According to her the main stem of the Clackamas river does not have a resident Rainbow population. The feeder streams do however. She thinks that it is a small steelhead. So, tomorrow she is emailing the pic up to a coworker in Seattle who is a trout guy for his input. lol.

It seems my wife is coming to the rescue of my lost first steelhead. lol

I would prefer it a steelhead, but happy that it is a big fish from where it came from. Funny thing is, if i had caught this on one of the coastal rivers it would be a steelhead.

Last edited:

gt05254

Reaction score
Yikes! Married to a fisheries biologist! Hard to tell tall tales when ya get home or the buddies are over, eh? Nice fish, AND great net for keeping harm to the soon-to-be-released fish down to less than a dull roar.
Gary

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Vans: I'm no expert at telling the two apart, but as the others have said, either way that is a great catch, Congrats!

Larry

nockhunter

Reaction score
I knew it wouldn't be long before we started to see some Steel. We should be seeing a lot more soon. I hope to post some this week. Or some Browns or whatever.

Mike

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

Here is a little guy from this spring.

Mike

Vans

Reaction score
Vans: I'm no expert at telling the two apart, but as the others have said, either way that is a great catch, Congrats!

Larry

Well, surprisingly enough, it is actually a steelhead.

At least according to the people who the state pays to tell them what fish are where. Two Senior level fisheries biologists and one Principal level fisheries biologist from a large international consulting firm say that is definitely a steelhead. There are a number of factors that give them that determination. Also, ODFW claims( through surveys and the like from people the like these) there is not a resident Rainbow population in the main stem of the Clackamas. In its tributaries, yes, but not the main stem.

It is kinda a blessing and a curse at the same time. I would almost it rather be a great big Rainbow than a little bitty Steelhead. lol

BTW, nice fish nockhunter.

Last edited:

Vans

Reaction score
Hey, nothing wrong with bitty steelies, that's what I caught too :p Gotta love the idea of your fishing stories getting vetoed by the mrs., however.

lol, yeah.

So, here is a link to an Oregon fishing forum where i first posted this whole tale..

Finally i have to post reasons why it is a steelhead. The post where the reasons are listed is a copy/paste from an email from my wife. lol. She is riled up about it. I had to edit out some "colorful" language. lol

Reason #1: It was caught in the lower Clackamas mainstem.

Rainbow are not found in the mainstem Clackamas. They are only found several miles upstream in headwater tributaries where the water is cooler and there is large wood and good cover. They live in those tributaries their entire lives. They are born, feed, breed, and die there. The mainstem Clackamas is a warm nasty mud hole in the summer months and Rainbow are very particular about their habitat. Cutthroat will live in a pile of **** if it has a small dribble of water in it. Rainbow will not.

Reason #2: It's not the right color.

Willamette Valley rainbow trout are distinctive. They have bright colors. This fish was muted and had silvered like a fish does when it goes out to see.

Reason #3: It's too big!

That was a fat, 17" long fish. A big rainbow in that system is probably more like 14".

Reason #4: It makes the most logical sense!

At this time of the year you'd expect to find a jack steelhead in that part of the Clackamas River. It's possible that a rainbow could have followed a misguided salmon out of a trib and up river to mow down some salmon eggs, but that's a long shot.

Bottom line, it's an Onchorynchus mykiss. The only way to know definitively whether it is a steelhead or not is to test a scale sample to see if it's hit salt water. That is the only way anyone can ever definitely tell a Steelhead from a Rainbow.

Last edited by a moderator:

nockhunter

Reaction score
Here are a couple from Fridays trip with A.j. (gatortransplant).

Hey even a pic with me holding a fish. Its kinda nice fishing with someone.

Mike

gatortransplant

Reaction score
That first one absolutely SWALLOWED that fly. I would have taken the picture if we weren't busy with a double :p And that second one just shows how much cooler you are than me, with the stogie hanging out there. Maybe I'd be cooler if I could take a non-blurry shot...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Great fish all around fellas. When a river has steelhead and transient trout in the system they are all steelhead trout to me. We have trout as big as steelhead here and the rivers run right into the sea so I don't worry over anyone telling me my big fish isn't what I think it is. So Vans, Congratulations, and AJ, you too Mike. All great fish and there'll be no hair splitting from this corner.

Ard

nockhunter

Reaction score
Those were Steel all right. We were only a mile and a half from Lake Ontario. That pic wasn't blurry, it was just nice to have someont take the pic for ya.

Mike

joebloe

Reaction score
my son, Bryan lands a nice steelie from the salmon river this past weekend

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

here's one of mine

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

our friend Nick's second trip to the Salmon River and he finally lands his first fish!

Last edited:

joebloe

Reaction score
thanks! -we fish in the lower and upper fly zones mostly -at some times during certain days it 's hard to find a spot on the Salmon River -and I know how it feels to get on the water early to hold a spot on this river - it gets very crowded at times with all kinds of fishermen - and I know how it feels when people step into your space after you've gotten up early to be in that space - but most people are cool, some not so cool- the river is fast and the fish are huge and you have to have some weight on the line to get it down -some people fish with lots of weight - You have to step back when someone is walking a fish up or downriver - it's a challenge to land a fish on this river - most people get a kick out of seeing the kids flyfishing there - all these things balance out to an ultimately pleasant experience.

Last edited: