The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Steelhead Pics

A thread devoted to fall chrome! Let's kick this thing off with a monster, aka my first steelhead caught on a fly rod, a little guy who decided to turn casting practice into landing practice (and also informed me I need to learn how to take my own fish photos...)

Click the image to open in full size.
This is as far out of the water as I let the fish get, and I still feel bad! Also, a better shot of the giant obnoxious streamer the fish decided to gobble up.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steelhead Pics

AJ: Congrats on the great looking steelie! We now have a sticky for forum members to post steelie photos! Thanks again for the great idea!

Larry

Larry
Old 10-25-2011, 04:31 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Good for you, A.J.!
Gary
Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

The higher powers requested i repost this here....

Went to the Clackamas river late yesterday morning hoping to catch a steelhead. I was swinging a purple leach and hooked this big boy....

17.5" and a fat 5.5" deep. Really gave my Cabelas 7wt a workout.

General consensus on local forums has it as a big Rainbow trout, from a river that according to info my other half has access to, shouldnt have a resident population of.

It seems that Mrs. Van has other ideas about it. See, she is a fisheries biologist by training and before she moved up into corporate financials she was a senior fisheries person doing salmon, steelhead and trout work that included surveys and habitat restoration. According to her the main stem of the Clackamas river does not have a resident Rainbow population. The feeder streams do however. She thinks that it is a small steelhead. So, tomorrow she is emailing the pic up to a coworker in Seattle who is a trout guy for his input. lol.

It seems my wife is coming to the rescue of my lost first steelhead. lol

I would prefer it a steelhead, but happy that it is a big fish from where it came from. Funny thing is, if i had caught this on one of the coastal rivers it would be a steelhead.

Last edited by Vans; 10-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'll settle this once and for all: steelhead or no, that's a great fish in the net! Quite the shade of purple on the leech its glaring at as well! Nice catch, vans!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Yikes! Married to a fisheries biologist! Hard to tell tall tales when ya get home or the buddies are over, eh? Nice fish, AND great net for keeping harm to the soon-to-be-released fish down to less than a dull roar.
Gary
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: I'm no expert at telling the two apart, but as the others have said, either way that is a great catch, Congrats!

Larry

Larry
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 AM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

I knew it wouldn't be long before we started to see some Steel. We should be seeing a lot more soon. I hope to post some this week. Or some Browns or whatever.

Mike

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

Here is a little guy from this spring.

Mike
Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Vans: I'm no expert at telling the two apart, but as the others have said, either way that is a great catch, Congrats!

Larry

Well, surprisingly enough, it is actually a steelhead.

At least according to the people who the state pays to tell them what fish are where. Two Senior level fisheries biologists and one Principal level fisheries biologist from a large international consulting firm say that is definitely a steelhead. There are a number of factors that give them that determination. Also, ODFW claims( through surveys and the like from people the like these) there is not a resident Rainbow population in the main stem of the Clackamas. In its tributaries, yes, but not the main stem.

It is kinda a blessing and a curse at the same time. I would almost it rather be a great big Rainbow than a little bitty Steelhead. lol

BTW, nice fish nockhunter.

Last edited by Vans; 10-26-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 PM

Hey, nothing wrong with bitty steelies, that's what I caught too Gotta love the idea of your fishing stories getting vetoed by the mrs., however.