The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brookie with Damaged Gill Cover

The two big browns I've caught so far this year have both had some sort of injury, whether it was a lamprey mark or a completely missing fin (note the gap next to my middle finger):
Click the image to open in full size.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post
Very nice northern Dan! Hardy, the trout was in Colorado in a reservoir that has a lot of northerns. I have caught several trout and northerns with the same wound pattern. The tooth pattern is more distinct on the portion of the fish still in the water. I think what happens is that the northern hits the fish, then if the fish isn't stunned, it escapes when the pike attempts to reposition it so it can eat the fish head first. I have seen the same bite scar on adult northerns that avoided becoming a meal when they were young.
OK I gotcha now, all I could see was the round looking spot. Here we get salmon who are scared by drift / gill nets, Orcas, seals and God knows what, Out in Hewitt lake the Pike eat one another so I imagine there are plenty of scared pike there.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Out in Hewitt lake the Pike eat one another so I imagine there are plenty of scared pike there.
That big Pike I got before the free Willy one, was coming into a spot in the evening to feed. The only thing we ever caught in there before she showed up was small Pike. I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what she was targeting in there. By the way, I'm still kind of annoyed by the Free Willy incident. I should upload a photo I have so I can post it of a Pike I got last summer. I had the biggest Pike I have ever had on. And I have had some really big Pike. It was taking line like I had snagged a Canadian submarine. I fought it for a seriously long time and all of a sudden it was gone, but there was still something there. When I got it in, here was this poor little Pike all of 16 or 17 inches long. It had been chewed up like ...... I'll have to post the photo. It was a seriously hurtin unit though.

Last edited by Guest1; 11-02-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add the photo
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Dan, it sounds like that "hammer handle" had a rough day.

Gator, thats a nice brown! It doesn't look like the missing fin is slowing it down at all.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Dan, that pike definitely took a beating. And thanks Pab, I didn't realize the fish was missing the fin until I got it in, the fight didn't feel any different!

Unrelated, I love the detailing on the cork grip of your rod, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I build my first rod, I know I want to do something unique with the cork.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I caught several brookies like that when I lived in Michigan. We also figured it was caused by either large brown trout or northerns, both of which inhabited the same water.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 PM

While looking at the photo of the fish I caught today, I noticed some damage. Upon closer inspection, looks like at the time it occurred, it was pretty serious, it may have slowed the growth of the back end of the fish, but it definitely left a "U" mark (directly under the dorsal) and some serious striations along the side:
While this is the one I landed, besides the zombie salmon which are certainly worse for wear in not in varying states of decay, there were some pretty beat up browns cruising the waters.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
....the zombie salmon which are certainly worse for wear .....
Careful unhooking those, you don't want to end up a zombie!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means an expert, but it looks like that brookie could have gill lice. I have caught a few in some spring creeks that have looked the same way. Apparently, brookies and bows are subject to gill lice, not browns.

Lots of great looking fish in this thread!