The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Brookie with Damaged Gill Cover

I caught this brookie today and only saw its left side at first. Its head was a little large for its length but nothing too unusual. When I took it out of the net to revive it, I saw the gills were exposed on its right side and a large piece of the gill cover was missing. Thats a first for me. Anyone see one like this before?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brookie with Damaged Gill Cover

Ive seen it a few times too, I just assume its an injury or deformity
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've never seen that. Looks pretty gnarly, but he's a nice older fish so it can't be too serious. Great brookie, even with the scar.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen Northerns with injuries like that before. In fact it is not at all uncommon with them. I have caught a bunch of one eyed Pike to. I think they lead a rough life.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Northerns are hard on trout too. I've caught quite a few that escaped the jaws of a pike. I've also caught trout (and pike) with the same wounds that have healed. This one was active/feeding and seemed healthy when I released it.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

First.................. That's an excellent Brookie!

Second, Ive caught fish with all sort of malady going on but as long as they had gas in the tank and I didn't get them bleeding I cut them loose. I figure the gill thing to be a first as far as seeing it hanging out like that. I have caught fish whose plates didn't seem to completely cover the gills and like this one you show they were old fish and large.

Third, the wound on that trout almost looks like a snag tear that is on the mend. it could have been caused by a Heron, or any number of predators. Since you're in Montana I'm not including lamprey eel on my list but if the fish is in public water it may have ran afoul of a treble hook.

Can you tell it's cold and snowing here? I really need to get out..........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post
Northerns are hard on trout too. I've caught quite a few that escaped the jaws of a pike. I've also caught trout (and pike) with the same wounds that have healed. This one was active/feeding and seemed healthy when I released it.

The best Pike bite wounds I have ever seen were on a 38 1/2" Pike I caught fly fishing in the park in town. It had bite marks starting back by the dorsal fin and going uo all the way to just behind the head. It was the end of July so this was not a spwaning territory fight, this was a really big one thought the 38 1/2"er looked like lunch. It had grabbed the Pike near the tail and treid working it's way up to the head to turn it. I regret to this day only taking pictures of the nicer looking side. Like on the Cutthroat picture, the bottom jaw made holes and slices. The top jaw however, with all those little teeth in tightly packed bunches, ripped chunks of skin off every place it had gripped it trying to work it's way to the head. I really wanted to catch the one that thought a 38 plus Pike was edible. It's hard to see the holes and slices in this photo but that's a slice right below the dorsal fin and there are holes all around the area near my right hand. Unfortunately I picked this photo to make a copy from because it was the one hardest to see all the wounds in. I should look through my extra photo stash and see if I have a version you can see the damage better in. I know there are none of the bad side.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM

gjamison is on a distinguished road

nice fish!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Very nice northern Dan! Hardy, the trout was in Colorado in a reservoir that has a lot of northerns. I have caught several trout and northerns with the same wound pattern. The tooth pattern is more distinct on the portion of the fish still in the water. I think what happens is that the northern hits the fish, then if the fish isn't stunned, it escapes when the pike attempts to reposition it so it can eat the fish head first. I have seen the same bite scar on adult northerns that avoided becoming a meal when they were young.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

I got recently got a fairly nice Walleye that had a scar from a previous bite wound. Look directly below my chin.