The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

I finally feel I have the technique figured out.

Over the 18 to 20 months I have periodically tried this method (if conditions look good) and finally this last weekend I felt I GOT IT!!!

However, I really didn’t enjoy it.

It felt like all I was doing is throwing nymphs in quick moving water and dragging my line until I saw it wiggle or go tight and poof I had a fish. I did this for about an hour with "fish on" 2 out of 3 drags. I feel it is similar to watching pro bass anglers catching a big bass and horsing it into the boat in 10 seconds.

What is your experience with this technique? I know 3 fly’s are fun tie on to the tippet. If you aren’t careful you spend more time untangling than fishing.

If you use this technique do you enjoy it as much as a top water hit or a subtle take with a #22 zebra midge 6’ deep?

CritterGetter
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

CC, the good news with this technique, is you get grabs near the end of your rod....
The dark-side is the leader.
I was introduced to it by Andy Burk, who is well known for this style.
In fact a couple of Czech nymphers stopped by the shop this week, from Europe.
Didn't understand a word they said, but you could see their enthusiasm.
There are other versions too, Spanish, French, Polish, etc.
All very different.
Most of us have changed to a tippet ring, instead of tying up leaders.
Will it ever beat a dry fly rise? Not hardly.
It is an effective style, and worth learning. For some water it is about the best way to fish.
I don't fish this way much, since the thrill passed, but still use Andy's "Bottom Rollers" as my lead fly, to help in getting down there.
Just another trick in the kit.

Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

i use it quite often and i have enjoyed it
Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It is my go to technique in the heavily fished western rivers. The reason is that almost everyone fishes with strike indicators, and I think the two methods target different fish. So I can fish a section that has been fished and still take those trout that the indicator method misses.

In the Ross Merigold hole of the Madison, a husband and wife were fishing to a nice rainbow that was feeding behind the boulder. They could not catch it, but the fish took my fly on the second drift with the Euro style of nymphing.

Click the image to open in full size.

The methods are complimentary.
alexs likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Lisenring lift is the way I learned how to fish well before strike indicators and the European system were popular.

My dad used to tie on a little pine cone for the same effect in very heavy water for an indicator.

We did what was required and then somebody came and tagged it.

Weighted nymphs are a handy thing to have in your box and my trips to NZ have helped me find some great weighted bugs.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I very seldom czech nymph...I don't like it at all...I think a fly rod is not made to use heavy nymphs.I nymph on sight most of the time it's far funnier and more exciting
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks everybody for the input. Keep em coming.

JPBfly -- I am glad to see somebody else had an issue with it like me
Bigfly -- I agree with you on the bottom rollers. I use them and tunghead stone flys often for weight when I nymph.
Silver -- Your points make since. The method does work to pull fish out of an area like your pictures show around the rock.
-- Also.. I love the pic's what a wonderful looking stream. High water probably sucks.

So.. I guess I keep the technique in the arsenal and perfect it a bit more. If I am not getting fish in certain conditions I can move to this method or move on. At this point I will probably elect to move down stream.

CritterGetter
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I do whatever is required and don't know the names for any of the methods. I learned to fly fish myself when I was a kid reading Field and Stream. I found out later the names for all the different casts I figured out.
Anyway, the Czech style of nymphing sounds a lot like "leading" big bunny streamers by King Salmon in the Alaska Rivers. You just keep enough slack out of the line so you can "sense" a strike. Sometimes they nearly rip the rod from your hand, but more often it is a very subtle take that you "sense" more than see or feel.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I very seldom czech nymph...I don't like it at all...I think a fly rod is not made to use heavy nymphs.I nymph on sight most of the time it's far funnier and more exciting
You have it backwards.

I disagree completey with your categorization of Czech nymphing as using only heavy nymphs? I would say most euronymphs are no heavier than beadheads. They sink because they are slim and the leaders are thin. They also use lighter fly rods than traditional indicator nymphing. So most fly rods are actually too heavy and not too light. The all around 9 ft 5 wt is actually not flexible or sensitive for to be the best Czech rod.

The rods are most often 10 foot 4 or even 3 weights and flexible.

"my ideal rod is a 10-feet rod, class 3-4......... I cannot recommend a stiffer rod than class 6. Soft and light rods are the best because they are sensitive and take much of the load during a strike, as well as when you are running a fish. "

Fishing tips

" Recently there is a trend for using lighter rods (AFTMA 4, 3 or even 2). It is important to use a rod as light as possible, because regarding the technique of fishing with Czech nymph (fishing with the arm stretched forward, frequent casting) we feel every superfluous gram."

Czech Nymphing - Straight from the source - Global FlyFisher

There are also variations of the Euronymphing that use longer upstream and up and across casts such as French and Spanish nymphing. In these methods, no or very little fly line is cast so the rods must be limber to cast only a long leader that can be 25+ ft long.

The most popular rods are probably the Greys Streamflex 10 foot 3 and 4 weights.
alexs likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I disagree completey with your categorization of Czech nymphing as using only heavy nymphs? I would say most euronymphs are no heavier than beadheads.
I rarely use euronypmhs.When I do Czech style I almost always use beadheads

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Couple days ago till I was waiting trout to start rising I fished using czech style ,and this are flies...heaviest I had in my box that was not too big for current conditions ...