The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Fall Splendor - GSMP Fishing Report

Hi Everyone,
Over the last week-end, my wife and I had the opportunity to visit the NC side of the Smoky Mountains and spend a couple of days fishing the waters there. Saturday was spent on one of the larger rivers with lots of success. Both of us went into the double digits with Rainbows & Brookies. The fish ranged in size from 9 - 14in but they fought like they were much larger

Click the image to open in full size.

The weather and fall colors were absolutely perfect & it was a trip to remember. I was surprised to see how aggressively the Brookies were hitting the flies.

Click the image to open in full size.\

Sunday was spent hiking in the national park and hitting some of the streams for native brookies. Only caught a few small ones since the temps had dropped below freezing over night. However, it was great being out in the woods by ourselves with just the burbling sounds from the stream.

Some lessons from this trip-
1) My new Simms Headwaters boots worked superbly – both in and out of the water. The studded Vibram soles were perfect, not on instance of slipping
2) I learnt that one does not need to cast > 30ft in these waters to catch fish. All the fish I caught were with less than 20 foot casts.
3) My Sage Z axis (4wt) performed worse than my Scott A3 (4wt) in this type of fishing. It was so much easier to load the Scott with the short amount of line out. The rigs we were casting on the larger river involved – multiple flies with an indicator and split shot. Plus the wind was approx 20-25mph all day. Even in those conditions, the Scott outshone the Z-axis.
4) Its easier to ignore the frigid water temps once you start catching fish

Overall, a magical trip and many sweet memories to bring home.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fall Splendor - GSMP Fishing Report

THanks for sharing your report with us. again, i can't believe i haven't been fly fishing my entire life...of all the times i just went to GSMP to camp and hike, but not fish! idiot.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice report, Myst. I've fished that area once, but it was before I picked up fly fishing. Now I'm torn whether I want to build a 4wt or a 12wt first Nothing wrong with smaller fish, it's still fishing and in a beautiful locale no less!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hey A.J.,
I know what you mean. I have a Winston WT 2wt all ready to go for next spring when I return to the Smokies. It will be great for the small Brook trout in the small mountain streams.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Beautiful pictures there!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy members posting their stories and pics. Many of these places I may never see but thru these posts from fellow members.

Thanks For Sharing

Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Great report. I fished the Tennessee side of the GSMP the first weekend of October with not nearly as much success. I only caught one small rainbow the entire day. Had a great time walking the Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon though. Great photos!

Ian
Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

NICE!!! It looks like another area for my fishing "Bucket List"

I agree with you on the Scott A3. I got one off of ebay a little over a year ago. I let my wife try it and now it is hers and I can't touch it. I think that rod gave her 10 to 15 more feet but better yet her hook set catch ratio went up by factors. What a crisp light weight fun rod. Too bad I can't use it anymore
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Those are some great pics of the river and of the GSMNP streams .Looks like some of the places i fish there.