The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Tickled ... brown? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/204165-tickled-brown.html)

gatortransplant 11-10-2011 05:25 PM

Tickled ... brown?

So I listen to the Orvis podcasts and decided to send them a suggestion about what I'd like to hear on the podcast. There's a lot about getting the fish to take your fly, as we are all used to, but very little about fighting/playing fish. Since I've been losing a lot of fish lately, and I've been blaming myself for fighting them incorrectly, I suggested a podcast segment on playing/fighting fish and at the end I included the photo of the big brown I caught the other day. I got an email back today saying the suggestion was passed to Tom Rosenbauer and that they really liked the picture as well!

Picture of the Day: Beginner's Luck?

Needless to say, I was pretty excited :wiggle:, but I don't know how I feel about the title :rolleyes:

EDIT: I forgot to add an important part: this was caught on one of Eunan/S Fontinalis' flies, so thank you very much Eunan!

Guest1 11-10-2011 05:53 PM

Re: Tickled ... brown?

That's way to cool! Congrats. :thumbsup:

As for the title, catch another one and send it to them and say, "One is luck, two is skill."

s fontinalis 11-10-2011 06:00 PM

I notice Greg senyo, the designer of the fly I tied made a comment. And mike schmidt too, two of the biggest steelhead alley guides around! Mike ties great flies too , check out his site at anglerschoiceflies.com

oh, and I got the ellicot specials today, can't wait to give them a rattle this weekend

mrl0004 11-10-2011 06:04 PM

Awesome dude! Now can I have your autograph? :D

gatortransplant 11-10-2011 06:45 PM

No autographs to fans of the War Eagle, go Gators :D You guys can have our scraps, even if they turn into Heisman Trophy winners.... just kidding there, as long as its in the SEC I'm cool with it, since I live in other conference territory now!

Eunan, I noticed that comment from Greg Senyo, I want to send him an email and mention that you tied the fly that I caught it on, one of his wiggle-stones. I hope you do equally well as I, if not better, using those Ellicott Specials this weekend!

Dan, when I saw the title I wanted to send photos of all of the 20+" browns I've caught lately, but then I realized that 1) since I've only been fly fishing for 2 months I guess I AM still a beginner, and 2) I'm too stoked that my photo is up there to get cocky just yet. You can bet, however, that they will be getting an email the next time I catch a big fish questioning the nature of the inspiration behind the catch :p

jimbojo 11-10-2011 07:13 PM

That is a nice fish and a nice pic, nothing to be ashamed of at all, beginner or not. Besides, I always heard that luck is what happens when preparation meets oportuniy.

Jimbo

cochise 11-10-2011 07:16 PM

Doesn't hurt to be in that location when the browns are running.

Always wanted to try it.

mcnerney 11-10-2011 08:53 PM

A.J.
Congrats on a great Brown Trout and for getting on Orvis!

Larry

lthrnk03 11-11-2011 02:17 AM

A.J.-- i wish i had beginners luck like that! Awesome fish! Congrats on making the Orvis page!!

I gotta ask...Is that Ellicott Creek you were fishing? I know its your preferred stomping grounds

flytyer123 11-11-2011 10:56 AM

FANTASTIC fish and very well colored as well. :D I like the idea of a fish fighting popcast as well it is expecially important when dealing with fresh/salt water heavyweights :weight_li like musky, stripers, big bass, and tarpon. Not to mention some of the bruiser browns that i like to chase.:D